Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to be "dusting" off the headlights on the TJ yesterday so they would work better, and I noticed another item that should go on the list of how people can tell you wheel with your jeep. Water and mud marks INSIDE the headlights. Yep, right on the glass. I'll have to pull them off and clean them out to get more light.

Another item of how to tell if you're a jeep fanatic: you stop and examine farm equipment to see what will work on you jeep. Well, it wasn't really a farm implement, just along with them, it was a mud running rig, like 25 feet long and 5' wide. The engine was in the back, auto tranny, and divorced transfer.

I'll get to the point. I looked underneath and saw what I thought was an NP205, but it didn't look quite right. It was stout enough, but when I found the tag and scraped away the mud, it said DANA Model 24. What was it? What is the low range? What did it come out of?

The rig also had another interesting feature, other than the rear axle, which was huge and split vertically up the center of the pumpkin, and the 3/4 ton D44 front with coils (60" tractor tires). It was dual disc brakes off the transfer case. Yep, surprised me as well. Nice job if it was home made, looked almost bought. It used CV shafts, and on the center between the 2 u-joints was a disc, with the caliper mounted to the transfer with some bracketry. Got me drooling right there. If it could be balanced it might be worth the investment. But then again, simplicity is bliss. Oh well, back to my original question, what was the transfer?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" TSL's/REP 8000/RS9000's/IHC Scout II D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
Hey JEEPN,

Go to the Ford BBS and ask them. I was cleaning out an abondoned garage last year that had nothin' but Ford parts everywhere. I came across three of these Dana24s. I remember asking the Ford guys about it, but I don't remember the response. I don't think the low range was that great. I still wish I could have grabbed them though. Sure are beefy looking! Maybe try a search here too.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)

G

·
Ford, 1-tons (and more), 1960's (I think), gear-drive, about 1.96:1 low-range, 'left-hand-drop' (for front axle), divorced, small u-joints, new parts not available. A good transfer-case, if you can live with the 1.96. I am using one.

bobH

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running the NP205, which has a similar low, not so great, but bulletproof. Now that you mention it, if I had looked a little harder, I would have noticed the opposite side front. It was installed backwards (motor in the rear), so I just gave it a once over. I appreciate the info. bobbikinks, what are you running it in and with what drivetrain? Just curious. Might be an option if I pick up a YJ (or TJ) and want to do things "backwards". /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's for sale now, don't know what he's asking but it's been there awhile. He lives in Dexter (mid-north and central), on the side of the lake, I pass by it every time I go to the family's camp. Never seen it run, how's it go? The one I was looking at was Outlaw, have any pics of that one?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.