Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing a front roll bar into my 78 CJ7. I "held" in place today to see what it will look like...something doesn't look
exactly right though! It looks like it's to far away from the dash.

Alec

G

·
it doesnt matter really how far away from the dash it is... I bent mine to just clear the front dash, my buddy bent his so that he had to trim the dash pad, about 3 inches. the top of my front bar is about five inches away from the windshield frame.( the other guys is about 1 1/2 inches away), his looks good but he has major trouble taking the bolts out of his hard top in the summer. and had to replace the big knobs that let his windshield fold down with regualar bolts, so I like mine better. the biggest trick is making sure that you can use all your foot pedles, e-brake included. and that you don't have a problem rolling down your windows, if you have hard doors. If your bolting down your cage to the floor make sure the plates on the bottom of your bar is not the same size as the plates on the underside of your jeep tub. since the same size top and bottom with cause your floor to crack. i suggest to use a bigger plate on the underside since you can't see it. and if you ever plan on putting a CB or lites on top. now is a good time to drill a couple of small holes for wires, so you don't have wires zap strapped to the outside later on. you can just run them on the inside.
just my humble opinion.
coot

coot.

G

·
Many of my friends have terminated their front bars at the dash, attaching to plates that bolt into the "K" stiffner. There is some controversy over this approach, but some, (including me) believe this is actually stronger if your not going to the frame. It also helps with window cranks, e brake and stuff like that. KEn

http://members.home.net/nosweat/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.