Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They look relatively easy to make...might make one for the future SOA.

Sam's sells a "cross member" for $175 that is a piece of 2x4 rectangular 3/16" tubing w/ the ends capped with angle iron....I need to be in the fabrication business. Couldn't take more than 30 min for even me to make with a sawsall, framing square and MIG setup. Maybe $5 in materials, if you couldn't find some scrap. But I guess demand is there for it.

While I am at it, does anyone know the thickness of a CJ frame?

Jason

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I'm planning on making one in a short while. It's going to be pretty much like Sam's traction bar, but will have a Johnny Joint on the end and will probably be somewhat adjustable. Still need to take a look under my Jeep and figure out what to do for a cross member.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
If you use flat springs with your SOA, I don't think you need a track bar. If you hold a string from the front spring bolt to the rear spring bolt, the center of the spring will be very close to the string. There shouldn't be any twisting of the springs to worry enough about a track bar. If you have SUA, then the springs will be trying to resist twisting to keep the axle from moving side to side and a track bar would be useful.

Or are you asking about a traction bar?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at the Sam's traction bar crossmember. If you can weld a traction bar, then the crossmember will be like flying a kite.

I look on the POR site and found one made of adjustable tractor links...just what I was looking for. Now if I can only figure out how to cut that angle in the bottom link. Anyone got any ideas?

We are getting a metal cutting bandsaw from Grizzly for the farm, I just found out today. Should be here next Tues. I finally got my MIG stuff hooked up to my welder. Trying to do some practice stuff now to get the hang of gas welding. Much prettier welds than flux core.

Jason

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I made mine like the Sam's one, but used heim joints at all three ends for adjustability, and a big tractor weld-on heim for the crossmember end. I built a tube crossmember, then added another leg for the weld-on heim, then ran a flat bar shackle between the t-bar and mount.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12394
[image]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=119446[/image]
[image]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=119448[/image]
This is the closest I have come to plans for a traction bar on the net. If anyone knows of a link, please post it.

How do you cut those long angle cuts for a traction bar like you got pbmcauliffe? All of the reasonable tubing notchers only go to 45*(<$100), and the next step up will only go to 60*($100-$200). Is milling your only option? Don't tell me you cut it with a ox/acl torch and ground it to fit......

Jason

ps-nevermind about the pics, just go to the thread

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.