Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiousity, anybody ever Herculiner'd their Sami/Kick/Tracker/etc? My carpet's rather nasty, the exterior isn't pretty, and I want to stop the rust from becoming structural. So I figure I'll buy two gallons and get me a mudproof interior and scratch proof exterior.

Along the same vein, to stop the rust that's already there from spreading I'll hit it with some POR15. Anyone used this stuff?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The por-15 works great! I have used it on many car frames. You can spray or brush it on, it dries to a very smooth finish which you can paint over.

·
Registered
467 Posts
When I bought my sami it was hurculined. I think it is o.k. It is super durable, but it is fairly abrasive. Don't know how mush you need but I would think 2 gallons should be plenty.
Tim

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I Herculined mine, you can get around the abrasive part if you brush it down, like when painting. I did that to the bed (cuz of son) and it worked great. it does fade so use a car cover in the sunlight if thats important. I threw my old carpet out, but then I got new set to throw in. It also lowered the nosie level a bit in the cab.

·
Registered
272 Posts
see my earlier post "getting my zuk painted need help painting tips"

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
We some times get of the point a bit

I am no painter, but there has been some good right ups in hot rod mags and 4x4 mags (on painting).
I have a couple at home that talk about the pro's and con's of different paints, and how to's.
If you would like I can scan them, and if you give me an e-mail address I will send them to you.
I have to dig them up (upstairs is still under construction) and my son goes in for shots (starting school, he won't be a happy camper) so it may take all weekend before I complete the task. Let me know.
If you reply to this it goes to my e-mail.

G

·
Pay attention to the paint warnings. They say to use gloves. I did not and got some on my hands. NOTHING would take it off except time. Took almost two weeks for that black stuff to wear off. When they say it sticks to anything..... THEY MEAN IT!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GRW, that would be great. I'm not looking to do anything pretty here, just make it water and trail proof, but whatever you got would be great. I know Hot Rod did a write up of POR15 a few years back, but for the life of me I can't find it. Got any clue what issue?

I'm kinda interested in this Durabak stuff, especially since it's colored. The Tracker's that annoyingly bright yellow (well, originally was bright yellow, now it's just yellow), and to tell you the truth, I've kinda grown fond of the color. Thinking I might keep it yellow if I can.
Ouch, just called and they want $139 a gallon for the yellow stuff. Hmmmmm...........have to wait and see if it's worth it. Getting a brochure and a yellow colored chip of the stuff.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Herculiner is the same as Durabak except the Durabak has a UV protection builtin... the HERC you have to perchase it seperately and add it in..

here is a $20 rebate thing for Herculiner http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/herspraytruc.html

the Napa auto place just had it on sale for $79 + the $20 rebate.. I got it for $59 a gallon....

if you can use an undercoating gun to shoot it on and it will make a smoother finish than brushing it on..

the Durabak colors are $99 a gallon for the dark colors and ranging $129-$149 for the lighter colors...
but you can ask them to send you samples of the different colors (that is what I did) they sent me about 7 or 8 different color samples...

I should have some pictures of mine in the next week or so when I am done spraying it...

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Durabak is made by Cote~L Industries in the chemical capital of New Jersy. I met the president (Cy Fine, Ph.D.) at an SSPC conference. Nice guy. If you call him directly (mention my name and that it's for Suzuki's as he likes them), he can make you up gallon in any coloe with the glow-in-the-dark additive. If you leave it in the sun all day, it will glow for 6-8 hours after sunset. You can call him at 201-836-0733 or email at[email protected]

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
YAAA... that's what I want (thanks Tim),
I talked to Perma... and they want min. of 1600 (might have been 1800) just to start spraying.
I said NOT, I wonder how much for the added GLOW-IN-THE-DARK ?
I will give him a call, I wonder how much it will take to do the sami inside and out ?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Dupi color is not so great. It's too hard and chips very easily. Make sure you ruff up the place you're going to pour the stuff.. I'm going to try the herc stuff, I've seen it before and it looks like 3 grit sandpaper

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.