Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....brake problems unsolved...however...the pads seemed to have brake dust embedded in their surface, ad you could scratch your fingernail on the surface of the rotor and get brake dust off of it. I believe this is causing my brake squeal. Would slotted rotors cure this? Would the stopo equal to or better than normal rotors? I've heard mixed opinions. By the way, they're only $20 more each than the factory style rotors....so i'm willing to spend the extra few bucks to fix my problem. any insight is much appreciated!!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Slotted rotors were designed to remove the debris that build up on the pads and keep the rotor a little cooler. However, the one caviet I can think of is that the slots tend to make the pads wear quicker. If it'd get rid of the noise it'd be worth the money?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mike!

Have you tried putting some "disc brake quiet" on the back of the pads? They sell it at DAP. I believe the pads are what cause the squeal, which is why they have vibration dampeners. Otherwise, vented discs have the most significant loss of heat build up. The slotted and cross-drilled rotors are for really high performance applications, but it probably wouldn't hurt to try them. One other thing though - I'm not sure if slotted and/or cross-drilled rotors can be turned.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Canis-

Hey man!
The Disk brake quiet melted off. yes, it melted off, i kid you not.... So thats out. As far as turning, slotted rotors can be turned, as long as the slot edges ar chamfered. How you doing by the way? I'm going to order the slotted rotors either friday, my next payday, or whenever the slapnuts at the IRS send me my refund check.

mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and by the way, neither myself, george, or alec work at Dap anymore....we all got wise....george is living off his investments, Alec went back to VA., and i'm working at UPS. They pay a LOT better, and i dont have to deal with every toothless inbred who owns something powered by a 350.

mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.