Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have a 258 with 33\'s?

Does anybody have a pretty much stock jeep with 33x12.5 tires on 15x10 rims? I know I posted this topic similar before, but I don't really want to worry about the gear ratios and stuff.. I have 31's now and 2 more inches shouldn't be that big of a deal I wouldn't think. Let me know if you have one..

G

·
Re: anybody have a 258 with 33\'s?

My 83 CJ7 had 3:31 gears, 5 Speed, Dana 300 T/C, and when I put the 33" on 8" Wheels it was pretty much a dog around the mountains. I have it tore down now insatlling 4:56s, Detroit Locker, and 1-Piece Axles. Probably could haved gotten away with just 4:10s but decided why do it twice so I went with the 4:56s that way if I go to 35" tires it will be OK.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifYup! Here you go./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
Hope this helps. If you have any more question just ask.

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

G

·

I have an 89 Wrangler with a 4" Pro-Comp lift, a 1" shackle lift, and 33/12.50's on 15/8's. I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but the only problem I have is my speedo is off about 8mph at 55mph (reads about 47) Other than that, my Jeep is a little slower, and need to rev a little higher to get power to the wheels, but not much. It runs great. Hope that helps.

~James
There's only one.
(Jeep, not James)

G

·

east116,I have an '82 w/ a 258 and t5 basically stock except for the Borla header.After installing my lift then 33x12.5 and 15x10,rolling down roads and highways You'll feel the difference even just 2 sizes bigger.You'll lose 5th gear!You're 258 is going to work harder to keep the same RPM's .Eventually I installed 4:10 gears To get the RPM's close to where they should be.BIG difference!!CJ Bob is on the right track....4:10's for 33's ....4:56's for 35's change thoses gears Boy and let her lose!! Scribby

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'm learning a lot about this stuff... I finally have my jeep looking good and I am ready to make some mechanical upgrades now, but I don't understand even what a gear ratio really is.. Can anyone point me to an article somewhere that will explain this to me or can anyone give me a quick lesson? I know you all probably think this is a dumb question but I have to start somewhere don't I?? =) Thanks a lot

G

·

Sounds to me like you need to read some of Randy Lyman's articles at Randy's Ring and Pinion web site. Randy explains these things so people can understand.
http://www.ring-pinion.com

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the site, I'll check it out.. I checked my rear axle and it doesn't have a code on it. I had it rebuilt not too long ago.. could they have replaced the part with the code on it?

G

·

The code is just a metal tag, probably just threw it away.

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
552 Posts

I've looked on my axles for the ratio tag and its not there. Doesn't look like they have been opened up. How do you know what ratio you have without taking it apart? Is there only one ratio that was available in mine? If that's the case a tage might not be needed.
Come to think about it there is a chart I've seen on the web but I can't remember where its at.

87 wrangler

G

·

Hi,

I run BFG 33 x 9.5 mud terrain tires on 15 x 8" rims on my 74 CJ5 with 3.73 gears and T-18A transmission. I find it performs just fine on the highway and off. The tradeoff is that I'm using third gear a little more on the steper hills of Western PA, but the engine is not screaming at highway speed. Gas mileage is about the same as with stock tires. I would not even consider changing the gear ratio.

Tim Kirby

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.