Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m installing 4" BDS lift; having trouble removing the stock pitman arm. I`ve already broken one puller on it. I have a second puller on it now, but it`s not showing any signs of budging. Is there anything else I can do? Will heat help?

thankx

Max

82 CJ7, 258, T-18, 4" bigger & size 33 shoes

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
leave the puller on overnight..good and tight. every couple hours, beat it with a hammer and give it a turn..heat it with a hand held torch too
i would not suggest this, but one time i made a tool that looked like a giant steering joint tool(pickle fork) and beat that on it.. it works, and i keep the tool.."just in case"

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You are using a pitman arm puller with two arms on it right? I would suggest the leaving it tight and hitting the pitman arm on the end with a hammer. There is also a pitman arm remover shaped like a large balljoint remover fork. Use it and the puller and spray liquid wrench all over it will come off!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm using a two arm puller. And, I just broke a second one. I left it real tight, would come back to it periodically and heat with MAPP gas, spray rust eater, tap it with hammer. After a few hours, I grew impatient; back on with the breaker bar and SNAP. @#$>! Back to Autozone. I was thinking about using my hand grinder and putting a groove in it (being careful not to get into the splines of course). Maybe that would weaken it enough for another puller to break it loose? I'm hesitant to use the "pickle fork" tools. I imagine that would raise the risk of damage to the steering box significantly.

Comments?

thanks for the input so far. this bbs gives me the knowledge and courage to do stuff that three months ago I never would have considered trying.

Max

82 CJ7, 258, T-18, 4" bigger & size 33 shoes

G

·
I actually just walked in the door from removing my pitman arm. I put the torch to it for a couple of minutes then just buzzed away with the impacct wrench, using a two pronged remover. I am trying to install my RE 4.5 kit. I have to wait til monday to order new bushings for the rear of the fromt springs and the front of the rear springs. The bushings were seized and I had to torch them out. $14 each, ouch.

Aaron.

G

·
my two cents for what it's worth. I wouldn't put fire to the pitman arm(unless your replacing it
anyway) because it is cast,forged then tempered, fire ruins the temper. I know there pricey, but
Snap-On make a puller that slides on around the sector shaft and contacts about 80% of the
of the pitman arm (used at least 4-5x/week for 6yrs)and never broke it.
Anyway ya gotta do what it takes.

HAWG WILD
ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
take that puller.. get it good and tight.. leave it overnight.. and in the morning it should come right off.. have done this several times.. elusive is right.. all you need is time.. makes it easier..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I had the same problem with mine when I installed my 4" lift. I also broke a puller, then got mean with the gear puller (this sucker was big). Well, it also started to deform, so we added heat. After the heat we added PB Blaster (great stuff!), and with the combination of waiting, hitting, heating, and dousing, it still didn't come off. Finally I got ruthless and took a cutoff saw to it. I cut almost all the way through, then nailed it with a mini-sledge. It sounded like a gunshot when it let go, then slid right off.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
What i did was to soak the sector shaft and arm in WD40 overnight, spraying it every few hours. Forget about the bargain basement pullers. Beg, borrow, rent or steal a good one. These are expensive...so you may not want to buy one. once you get it, put lots of pressure on it. I broke a 3/4" craftsman ratchet because i had a 3 foot jack handle on it with one foot on the bumper and pulling with all i had. We "fixed" the ratchet and I broke it again. An impact air-driven tool can really save you here. just put as much "ass" into the puller as you can, then literally beat the hell out of it and a few hail mary's never hurt. Try to bribe it if you have to. Good luck!!

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.