Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one used a rear end out of a isuzi trooper if it already has a disc brake rear this seems to me like it would be a good rear end?? more likely it will fit under the yj better than the cj. what do u think?? i know that the lug pattern is a 6 lug. Is there a reason why nobody is using the rear end?
Andy

· Registered
7,901 Posts
Just watch what rear end you're going to use. They used 2 rear ends, one was the D44, but the other was an Isuzu Corporate. If it has a D44 like cover, it's a D44, if it has a 3rd member drop out, it's the Corporate. The Corporate is still a nice rear end, mine ('95 Trooper) with the LSD is still tight as hell after 100,000 miles. It's setup with coils, 4.56 gears, discs, and acts more like a locker than a LSD off-road. Parts would be expensive and hard to come by for it though, so it'll stay where it is.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

· Registered
1,419 Posts
the only d44 in a isuzu that I knew of was the rodeo, and when I find one in the yard I,m going snatch it so quick. It lucky that most counter help work for minimum wages and do not know parts.

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are supposed to be in Amigo's too I hear. The reason people don't use these is that you can get a Ford 8.8 easier, and you don't have to mess with the different bolt pattern.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeepn
"Parts would be expensive and hard to come by for it though, so it'll stay where it is" what exactly do u mean by that it is a dana 44 housing right? so the only thinb that I would have to worry about is finding axles if they brake right? the rest is the same right as any d44? which isuzu has coils in the back?
thanks for all the info
Andy

· Registered
7,901 Posts
No, they're not the same axle at all. It's not the same as the D44, it looks more like a Ford 9" (maybe it is for all I know). I don't know the ring gear size or any other pertinent data. In fact, I had to ask a mechanic at the dealership what the axle was and what type of LSD it carried. The rear axle is flanged, easy to work on, and seems pretty stout. My Trooper weighs in at 4,500 lbs (without junk, heavy vehicle) with the Limited model weighing 5,500 lbs. They have a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs as well. You might be able to find out more data at the Isuzu Trooper Owner's Guild (ITOG) at http://www.itog.com/board/.

The '92 and up (don't quote me on this) should have coils, they changed to the new body style. The body style was widened again in 1994/1995. The Amigos and Rodeos are still leaf sprung. The Vehicross is based on a shortened frame, so if you can get one (they're $45,000 and limited) you might be able to use it. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

· Registered
1,419 Posts
I,m not sure about the trooper but, we got a rodeo at work with a D44 in it. It has the 44 numbers on the right bottom web and it is identical to the one in my jeep except it has disk brakes.The rodeo is a 99 model

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the info, it was just a thought, i was parked in a parking lot today and i peeked under a coulple of the izuzu and they all had third members, so i think i was going to scrap that idea, it was just a thought i wanted a disc rear (it is nice to want!), after seeing a recent post on the d44 rear disc i was just thinking if u could get one already done (like the isuzu and explorer, i was more intrested in the izuzi because they have used disc for quite some time, and ford since 95 in the explorer but it is a ford and there is probbably just as many fords with 95 disc than the amount of isuzu in the junk yards) and pay a little bit more initally it would be a little cheaper, but it is not going to work.
later
Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The information I posted on using a rearend out of a Rodeo was from the september 99 4Wheel and offroad. I was going to toss one of these beauties under my 4Runner before I sold it. I can't speak for the Trooper or Amigo but I've searched Rodeos a bit. The last one I found was in a 94 Rodeo and the yard wanted $350 for it. Every yard I called asked if I wanted disks or drums. I only asked about and looked at the disk models so I don't know if the drums were corperate or ??? The disk models I found either had 4.10 or 4.30 gears and some had limited slips. They look exactly like a regular d44 and have a standard 4 bolt flange. They measure 58" from mounting surface to mounting surface. Beware that some of these d44s are not the standard design. If it has a cast case your ok, if it has an aluminum case it's crush sleeve and don't touch it. In 98 rodeos went to coils and have additional brackets to cut off. One of the coolest parts of these axles is the tiny drum inside the rotors that act as e brakes. All you'd have to do to plant one in a Jeep is change driveshaft flanges and weld on new spring perches. Hope this helps, Happy Jeepin
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.