Off Roading Forums banner

Any one own a Grand Wagoneer?

665 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  **DONOTDELETE**
G
I am looking at buying a 84 GW w/ 360, 4 SP. auto, quadratrac, to pull the CJ.
Any one got any info. on things to look out for? Thanks guys.

AustnJPR

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G
It's a Jeep, look out for the same things that you would on your CJ. Guages usually don't work, make sure the 4x4 works, if it doesn't you can be lucky and it's a vaccum leak, then again, it could be worse. The 360 is a gas HOG, expect a max of 12mpg in town, mine got around 10mpg. Also, check the timing cover thing, it's the whole unit in fron of the block that the water pump attaches to and the distributor goes in. If this has a leak (water) expect to pay around $300 to replace it, it's aluminum. Electric rear window is also a pain in the A$$ Other than that, they are a comfortable and powerful ride. Good luck.

My older brother and his wife bought one to pull their '76 and '79 CJ-5's. I followed them to a club event and was able to watch them towing one CJ on a U-haul trailer. The trailer controlled the GW the whole time, a few times I thought they were going to lose it. Their GW is an '87 with the same setup you described. From now on he flat tows it, does fine. He said the U-haul trailers run about 2K pounds, very heavy, so he's looking into buying or building a lighter trailer. Just thought you you might want to consider the total weight. The trailer also had hydraulic brakes, so electric on a trailer would be better. One other thing he found out, upgrade your cooling system, he overheated a few times on the way there, but it was in the Mountains of western Maine. Get a GOOD radiator and a larger tranny cooler, otherwise the GW towed fine.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights
Yessir I have an 89 Grand Wag. It's been a good vehicle except for the usual Jeep kind of stuff mentioned in another post. Almost all of these seem to have problems with the rear windows--leaks or switches going out etc. Mine did also but wasn't too bad to replace after hassling the Jeep dealer to get parts in. The clearcoat is notorious for blistering off the hood and roof. You might ask over on the full size jeep board also but it doesn't move nearly as fast as this board. Wags also are pitiful saggers in the rear springs. Add a leaf is in my plans to ease towing our boat and hopefully my CJ (either flat-towing or with a trailer). There have been quite a few good posts on the 360 in the last month or so and one of the mudders on this Board usually has lots of info on this engine. I can't remember who that is though. Mud dog, Dirtdog or one of those dog handles I think. Maybe he'll see this post and chime in. The guy who sells the tube bumpers and such for Full size Jeeps had his GW for sale about 2 months ago. Other than paint, it looked to be pretty well rigged. I don't know if it is still available or not. His web address http://www.rosenvick.com/killer32/ If I remember correctly he was moving from Pennsylvania to California. Good Luck in your search./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brit
85 CJ7
See less See more
4 Speed auto?, shouldnt be!

3 speed with a lock up converter if your lucky..., its a TF727 in an AMC case..

good tranny

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas
G
Ahhhh there you go again Matt... Think man!
He mentioned that it was a q-trac which would make the
tranny a what??? Yes thats right, a TH400 :eek:)
Im not familiar with them but maybe it is a 3 speed w/ OD?
Dustin

JeepChild
hey, dustin, the borg-warner quadratrac was not used past 79. for the grand wagoneers they still used the name quadratrac but used the np207 or 8 transfer case. the th400 was only used with the borg-warner case. the chrysler trans were used after 80.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner
and th400s dont have OD, or lock up onverters that I know of...

a lockup converter doesnt make it an overdrive tranny, it makes it 1:1 top gear no slip...

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas
G
Hmmmm.... Thats really strange... I have a 208 in my YJ but its not a full time unit? Anyone
feel like explaining this to me?

JeepChild
Easy to Explain Dustin

NP208s are part time units ( 2hi,4hi,N,4lo), not the Transfercase labeled as "quadratrac" after 1980, the ones called quadratrac were NP228, or 229, maybe 219? something like that, Ive got a NP208 also, sitting in my basement

Does the one in your Wrangler have a slip yoke? or can you remove your rear drive shaft without puking fluid out?

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif We bought our CJ about 150 miles from where we live, and after looking it over, I was reluctant to risk driving it home. We picked up a U-Haul trailer, and I have to tell you that was one heavy piece of crap. It weighed just under two grand as I recall, and with the CJ on it it was ALL our '97 ZJ 4.0 wanted to handle. We live high up in the mtns, and I had to use LOW RANGE to get enough power in the really steep stuff. Just sittin' around one day I drew up a MINIMUM Jeep trailer for hauling our CJ (It's a Quadra-Trac Automatic) that would weigh less than half of a U-Haul. The trailer had a hump in the middle and used a straight single-axle with 3/4 ton pickup wheels (8-bolt pattern).....brakes of course. You know, if the truth be known, there ARE better tow machines than a Wagoneer. They DO use a lot of fuel, and you have to do something about those rear springs! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.
See less See more
let me clarify a little. jeep continued to use the quadratrac NAME on the grand wagoneers on the part time systems in the 80's. for the grand wagoneers only, if it says quadratrac and you don't know the year, the only way to find out is to look underneath and see if it's the borg-warner or not. the 87 yj's did come with the np208, but it is a part time transfer case. in 88 they went to the np231.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner
G
Ok .... I swapped the 208 in mine from a Wagoneer... They were never in the Yjs stock... In 86 and 87 the Yjs had an NP 207 which
is the earlier version of the NP 231.... I just didnt understand the whole wagoneer q-trac theing... Now i do thanks.
Dustin

JeepChild
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.