Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed Dodge Neon seats into my CJ, sitting pretty for now. But now I'm looking skyward.... wondering how long it's gonna stay dry. Anybody have any luck water proofing cloth seats? What about scotchguard or a similar product?

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Though Scotchguard is a great product the best you're gonna get is "water resistant." I'd be surpirsed if you could fully water proof the cloth... it's time for a good pair of aftermarket seat covers.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no no NO NO!!

I don't deal with reality very well. You may be telling me the truth, but there has to be SOMETHING I can coat the seats with....

.... candle wax?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I guess you could use some Filson's oil cloth wax or snow seal. But the the first time it was really hot and you went for a long drive, your clothes would absorb the excess. Personally I love my Best top seat covers. Even cat pee just wipes off.

G

·
Since cloth is a porous surface, it will absorb water unless sealed with a non-pourus surface, the main ones being metal and plastic (though plastic can be puorus at extreme pressure). Since I imagine that you do not want to coat your seats in metal or plastic, I think the best solution is to get some good nylon/plastic seat covers, or put your top on...

With the manufacture of hi-tech cloths using nano-technology on the horizon, it will not be long before a cloth is made that will withstand water a great deal. Several companies are already using this technology to make their jeans much less prone to damage from spills. I read an article about it somewhere, will look tomorrow at work and post the link if anyone is intrested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.