Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a more positive note: since fly-fishing for trout is one of my passions, I started building my CJ so that I could get to places that the hordes of fisherman couldn't get to so easily. In a nutshell, I don't like to fish with rods flailing away on all sides of me. High mountain lakes and streams seem to be the last place that a lot of less industrious folks would strive to reach just to be fishing. Add to that the peace and serenity of admiring our Mother Earth from such a high place and I hope you get the idea.
My question is this: Are there other Jeepers on this Board who like to fly-fish? And knowing that access is sometimes limited by lack of roads or simply restrictions on motorized vehicles in wilderness areas, has anyone found such places where Jeepin' and fishing for trout can happen together without big crowds of people? I don't want to sound like a hermit, but I often enjoy Creation more if I am not distracted by anything but Creation itself.

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
If you consider fly fishing for Smallmouth comparable ( no native trout around here)

I cant wait til spring, to wade way down the rivers and streams around me and land a few good fish, just to let em go and make more fish !!

I catch a few around 3 pounds every year, lots of smaller ones, probably 6-10 trips a year depending on the rain..

the farther from civilization the better, If I ever see another fisherman, I never return to that spot...I once saw a drunk ******* dip**** on a jetski coming up the river i was wading in ( it was barely 4 feet deep)

he turned the jetski off, and drug it through our fishing hole, not because he was nice and considerat, but i was so shallow and rocky he would have hashed his wet sled...

My buddy threw rocks at him and tried to sick my dog on him, and the guy left mumbleing about unfreindly fisher people...

keep in mind there isnt an appreciable body of water within 20 miles of where we were....a one hour drive from teh closest gas station, 4x4 trail for a mile or so, then a few hundred yards treck through the woods with flyrods, and waders, just to see this guy on a jetski...

back to the subject, yes, jeep to the fishing hole, then forget there are other humans for a few hours...

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

G

·
A very avid fly angler here. Just like yourself my jeep gets me to great beautiful areas that hold wary trout. I reside in Salt Lake City Utah, so the Green river is about 3hours away and I can drive 45 minutes to the provo river. In about another month there will be some great BWO hatches are coming off both rivers!!! Email me off-line if anybody is interested in rising trout and tight lines.

Happy Jeepin'

JG

·
Registered
458 Posts
You've got another one here.

Here in California, there is a lot of running water to fish. My current favorite is the East Walker River.

I have done some fly tying. Mostly nymphs and woolybuggers.

Jeeps and flyfishing go perfectly together. It is as much fun getting to some of the places to fish as the fishing itself.

My latest phase: bowhunting. Somewhat like flyfishing. You've got to make it tough.

Bob

G

·
Hey! Another Jeepgeek! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif... and here i was all proud of my wife for making that up... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

I don't fly fish... sorry 'bout the off topic post!

Mix a computer and a Jeep, what do you get?
a jeepgeek! (aka: YJ94)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey I am glad to know there others out there with the same mix of interests. I don't have much to offer as far as prime trout locations in Kansas (none) but I do travel 3 or 4 times a year to search for trout. The tough part is getting off work and getting there. And I would like to get a trailer for my CJ but I could flat-tow if I had to. If anyone is interested that I haven't e-mailed, feel free to e-mail me. Two of the friendliest groups of people I have ever met are flyfishermen and Jeepers. I look forward to hearing from you/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif.

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep, another one here. Not much of a fly fisherman, but I have caught a couple after thrashing the water. Usually a bait fisherman, live redfin minnows threaded are great in PA streams to catch the wary browns. Also good for native brookies, if your approach is right.Jeepin and fishin, doesn't get much better. Just haven't had as much time as I want for either passion in the past few years. Maybe this year...

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

G

·
Yea, me too

I live in South Texas; I'm an hour away from the Gulf of Mexico where there is great bay fishing. You need the 4x4 to get get to the good spots (SAND) I'm also about 10 minutes from the Rio Grande River and lots of man made drainage canals & lakes full of fish. Without going in a boat you can fish the beach, bay and gulf side for trout, red snapper, drum, and all kinds of sport fish. In the river and other fresh water you can get bass, catfish, aligator gar, crappie, and lots of other unknowns. Did I say I like to fish too? Let's not even get into guns and hunting.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Bob-

I like bowhunting as well, used to live, breathe, and dream it, now it's jeeps. Still have all the equipment and go out from time to time. I have 13 bows: compounds, longbows (one over 100 years old), and recurves, and teach archery courses in my spare time (as well as firearm, archery, and ATV safety for the state). I also like to fish, whether it's flyfishing or bait casting. Dad retired and bought a nice cabin on northern end of Moosehead Lake (we're talkin' winderness here), but I prefer to fish the small streams in the surrounding area. Streams we used to fish 25 years ago (took the old Scout 800 into the woods) are now built up with parking lots. I still remember the Brookies we used to pull from the spots, makes me cry to see how built up it is. And they say 4 wheelers are bad, look at all the damn development!

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

·
Registered
173 Posts
Count me in. When we move into our new house the Gunnison river will be about 50ft from my back door. I'm just a novice with a
fly rod, but that will change. Just like other recreationists, fisherman need to be aware that trail closures could make make their
favorite stream or lake inaccessible. That high country lake you currently drive to could become an 8 mile hike. The same is true for
hunters.

BHT

G

·
Flyfishing to me is right up there with Jeepin'. Living in North Texas I have to drive to southeastern Oklahoma where some good trout can be caught on the Illinois River near Broken Bow. Beautiful country, big trout and some good Jeepin' area. Fishing there is catch and release only. I also fly fish the Laguna Madre for red fish and stuff on the Texas Gulf Coast along Padre Island.
Yeh, I fly fish a little....

JP
'94 YJ and '85 CJ7 with stuff done to it/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
YJ94,

Nice to meet ya!!! I think we're all jeepgeeks in some way or form. Spending all our time building up our rigs and submitting useful information to one another over the computer. I am an active reader and appreciate all the great ideas and comments.

Happy Jeepin'

JG

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You got me here. This is exactly the reason I have built my jeep. We average two dozen high mountian lakes a summer. Some we can drive the Jeep to, others we drive as far as legal, and walk the rest.

I too love to hunt. I have bowhunted and shot archery competitively for many years. So has my wife. I also teach bwohunter ed. classes for the state of Montana. Nice to see some similiar interests. I am good with archery equipment, to bad I am not as good a fisherman. That's why I bring my father-in-law and son along.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

G

·
I originally got my Jeep as a platform for fishing, hunting, camping, etc. In college and needed a car so I figured it would make a good unique used vehicle that fit my hobbies and love of outdoors. Didn't even know how to drive a manual when I got it, so that was exciting. It's turned into more of an off-road buildup than what I originally got it for, but it's still my daily driver and will continue to be. We have some decent trout here in Michigan... Au Sable for one but its crowded in summer. I'd like to try the Fox or Manistee perhaps this summer, or maybe even the UP if I get adventurous!

Burnsy

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
HEY JPC!

ive been fishing the Illinois River within a 40 mile radius of Fayetteville for a few years, do you ever catch anything in it?? Ive come up with nothing but Carp, Bullhead catfish, and the occasional green sunfish...its so clear Im dying for some samllys in there!!!

3 springs ago we found a school( like THOUSANDS) of sometype of little red fish , I looked in teh audobon books, best I could figure was rainbow darter...they were so neat, zillions of flashes of red moving in the water, we watched them for almost an hour...trying to get a closer lookl at one ( they were like 2 inches long)

I went home really excited and told the wife abou tit, I took her the next day and the school had moved, Im kicking myself for not carrying a camera back then!!

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.