Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Just wondering if anyone else out there is having better luck than me with the quadratrac t-case. I have a sligtly built 360 and the T400 transmission. I am currently on my fourth try with this T-case. The first time the chain snapped and took out the case. The second one the clutch pack and spider gears inside grenaded. this also happened again with the clutch unit from the first T-case. (And yes I did use the Q-trac oil every time I filled it.) Now I am on my fourth one which has the part time kit. Has anyone had luck with this kit or is it doomed to fail also. I just don't feel like spending the money on the adapter and having the tranny gone thru again to install a new tail shaft for another t-case. Not to mention I'd have to find another T-case and swap out the rear axel.

Hopefully others are having luck with this setup. Which would set my mind at ease.

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
you're worrying me. i have a 360 that's been improved a little with a th400 behind it. so far the only problems i've had with the quadratrac is just changing the chain every 40k miles or so which is a pretty simple operation. the quadratrac is just light enough that i can take it down and put it back up without a jack. i'm no muscle man either, i am just a scrawny 6ft, 145lbs. mine doesn't have any problems with a 4-5 inch lift (springs and shackles) and 33's. the only downside is the high compound low gearing. i'm a little curious if a custom tailshaft could be made for a 700r4 to attach it to the quadratrac. i know there is an engine to trans adapter and the 700 is an inch or two shorter than the 400 so driveshaft length shouldn't be a problem. i like the versitility of the quadratrac, especially the full-time low range.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 350/t400/q-tac case and it works fine for me. The engine puts out at least 375 HP and the case
has held up nicely. I think a chain change is in the near future though! It does have the part-time conversion kit on it. I don't know if that has anything to do with the longevity of the case. I just figured that I would give you a glimmer of hope. Sorry to hear about
al of the rebuilds, that is always a pain in the ass! Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been running a QT with behind my stock 304 and running about 5" of lift and 35" tires. It has held up for me, but I am swapping it out for a Dana 300. I am doing this mainly because the jeep has become a hardcore crawler and I want a little lower low range which I can get with a 4 to 1 in the 300. I have done a total rebuild in the QT with a part time kit, new chain, seals etc after my clutch pack went and I was left with front drive only when on an incline. I think it will be better with the part time kit and will be fine for anything except maybe the hardest wheeling. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif We are in the process of de-activating the cone clutches in our Quadra-Trac to make it an "open center" all wheel drive for snow. We will still have the vacuum clutch to snap in for yolking 'em up if we need to. For snow we don't need the low range, and because we are running just direct drive, there is less slack to jerk on the chain and perhaps shorten the life of the chain drive./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.