Off Roading Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
G

·
Well, I hate to be the voice of concern here, but I kind of resent all of the lawyer-bashing. Some of it may be good-natured, but some of it may not be. I think you are all failing to recognize that the number of lawyers and lawsuits in this country is not neccesarily an ill imposed on society by lawyers and law-schools, but rather a reflection of the times. The lawyer is simply one who zealously represents his/her client. It is the bastard client who is searching for money that goes to the lawyer, and hires the lawyer to work on a given case. If the lawyer feels the case is wholly without merit, then the lawyer will not take the case. If a lawyer forwards a meritless case, the judge has the option of fining the lawyer for all court costs and up to $250,000 in punitive damages (an action that perhaps should occur more often). I wholeheartedly agree that the situation that the gentleman from Miami underwent was wrong, moreover I would fervently argue that our legal system does need some modification (most notably in the reform of the way in which meritless cases are dealt with). I would also state with relative security that the torments that our Miami friend was forced to go through were due at least in part to the lack of an exceptionally talented lawyer on his behalf...which is a whole new can of worms. But anyhow, I don't think its fair to single out one profession and blame them for all of society's ills; even if they are someone that you may have had a bad experience with.

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?

G

·
It's really not the lawyers, like I said it's the legal system. I work with lawyers every day, most of them are pretty above board and
honest, BUT, they will work for their client.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Lawyers are a symptom of the underlying ill in our society.

How do you defend someone that you KNOW is guilty? If they are sworn to uphold the law (or is that a police-o)... don't they know that they are there by doing INJUSTICE to the system?

Our problem is MTV! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Actually TV of any type... well, except TRUCKS!

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

G

·
Lawyers as a symptom, maybe, but it is still the system that puts them in the position of defending guilty people. Granted a lawyer
chooses to go into defense work rather than another area, maybe its a matter of conscience, or even integrity. All I know is I was
having too many philosophical problems with the legal system when I was in school and thinking of law school, so I found another
area of the legal system where you don't have to sacrifice your integrity.

G

·
Well...the whole issue of lawyers defending clients that they know is guilty is a can of worms. If a client tells a lawyer that they did in fact commit the crime, the lawyer cannot allow the client to testify that he/she did not commit the crime. There are many laws, both gov'tal and in the ABA code of ethics that govern how lawyers can work with clients that they know are guilty...Which is why lawyers usually tell their clients to not volunteer any information that isn't asked for. So why do they defend guilty clients? Because we, in this country, value the right to a trial. We believe that all defendants are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Lawyers defending guilty people are a neccesary part of our system. There have been a lot of "guilty" people that have been proven beyond any doubt innocent of the crimes that they were accused of. Granted, there have been a lot of guilty people that have walked as well...but it is among the prices we pay for our freedoms (now, when our freedoms are encroached upon, then things start to get really complicated). Just try to remember that the lawyer has a job to do...he is not advocating naziism if he defends a nazi accused of committing a crime, he is simply doing his job. And the actions that a lawyer takes in the course of his job are goverened by the strictest rules of any profession. Sacrificing one's integrity is not a part of being a lawyer. Anyone in any profession can sacrifice their integrity, police officers included...but the point remains that they shouldn't. I still maintain that it is wholly unfair to label lawyers as a group as anything, including people who have no integrity. Oh, and by the way, Brad, lawyers don't neccesarily always choose to go into defense work. A great deal of the time, lawyers are appointed by the court to serve as defense lawyers. Even if one does choose to be a defense lawyer, it is not neccesarily sacrificing one's integrity. Every accused person is not guilty. I know if I were accused of committing a crime, I would certainly want a good defense attorney in my corner...wouldn't you? And I bet our friend from Miami is wishing that Johnny Cochran or F.Lee Bailey were working for him a time or two...no?

G

·
I guess I should have been a little clearer when I said choosing to go into defense work. What I actually meant was criminal as
opposed to some other area of law, as you know there are an increasing number of specialties in that field. BTW, I know a couple
of lawyers that would be at the top of my list if I was ever going to sue for personal injury, but they are about at the bottom of the list
if I was ever accused of a crime.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
This may have not much at all to do with the actual subject, but I just figured I'd share it...

In Michigan (not sure how it is anywhere else), if someone breaks into your house, and they hurt themself, they can sue you?!?!?! What is that all about? What kind of total idiots passed a law that says that if someone who doesn't have my permission or approval to be in my house and they get hurt that it is somehow MY FAULT??? We need to get all of these stupid laws like this taken out of the books, make crime illegal and risky for the criminal again, and maybe the legal system will improve a little... /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I hate laws that make life easier for the criminal and harder for me... [angry]

Sorry just thought of that one and had to vent a little...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
To everyone who posted above. That is why it is called the "CRIMINAL" Justice system/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. At times, it seems, the criminals are the only ones who get (what they feel anyways) is justice for them. Always remember...if there is only one side of the story (ie. criminal is no longer able to speak), it makes life alot simpler. Just make sure it can be justified !/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
If you think that's ludicrous, in Illinois, if a burglar breaks into your house and your dog bites them, you are responsible for the damages if the burglar is committing anything less than a felony. If the burglar is committing a felony, the dog can bite them, attack them, chew them up, etc. I've spend months trying to go through the law books and explain the differences between misdemeanors and felonys to Max (my 135# black german shepard) but he just doesn't get it yet...he's a real smart dog and all, but when someone breaks into the house, he tends to tear them up before he verifies that they are about to commit a felony /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.