Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like i said,ideas....Anyone ever checked into the availabilty of the quick disconnect steering wheels? and a idea i had for floor shifters,have it cut below
boot level a bit,a threaded sleeve added,and end of shifter threaded.Park where it cant go forward.tree,building,etc.Put it in low and remove shifter.Course you would need
a lock nut on it to keep it tight when installed.Might be a pain at the grocery store,but no shifter at night or when its going to be parked
awhile would certainly make me forget trying to steal it.(if i did that,which i dont)
I saw a guy once who modified a parking brake pedal,he disabled the ratchet in it some way,drilled a hole thru it and used a pin,to set brake
install pin,push it down,remove pin,pedal then flopped free.No i have no idea how he did it,was years ago.If you are a siren fan,what about
a siren connected to a motion sensor,or two or three,under drivers seat,hood,etc,but hooked up to a hidden motorcycle battery instead of
the Jeeps battery,just in case they want to steal parts and try cutting battery cables?Spoke wheels?what about a big logging chain
locked between 2 wheels? :) I know ! when in a motel,and parked in front of your door,run your winch cable loosly under door and connect
it to your bed.. LOL Sorry, just had to add that..Cant be serious all the time..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Personally I've always been rather fond of the idea of parking your vehicle on your front lawn, attaching a hot wire from your house
to the vehicle, giving the lawn a real good watering and then go to bed and forget about it. Oh, don't forget to unplug the cord in the
morning./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I don't know. If you leave it plugged in it might be better than a pot of
coffee to get you going in the morning.

C-Ya.....................kh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 25% of vehicles are stolen using a tow truck...bottom line, if they want it, they will take it...even if they have to shoot you in the head to get the keys. Best defense...keep small items out of sight....don't lock it (they will only cut your soft top to get in)...and use a club...kill switches may keep them from driving it, but by then they have already punched the lock and busted the stearing column.

If you have an older jeep with mechanical fuel pump. Replace it with an electric and tie that to a hidden kill switch. They get it started and headed out of the parking lot and then it runs out of gas....by now everyone can see them so they will just take off on foot.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

·
Registered
213 Posts
Actually I am sorry to have to say this but I guess the numbers are good...I was talking with my best friends dad (actually sort of my adopted dad for most any fishing/car/hunting needs) and he owns his own insurance agency...All of the numbers that the insurance companies he deals with show that the CLUB is actually the best auto-theft deterent on the market...I forget to ask him about what happens when you have a vehicle that the windshield folds down on though...But still it would look mighty suspicious driving with the windshield down and a club on the steering wheel... :)

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.3L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a full cage then you can lock the steering wheel to the cage using either a bike U-lock or cable lock. The U-lock works best with a 4 spoke steering wheel.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there are a few new steering wheel adapters that disable the wheel without having to remove it. not too bad of an idea. sure would beat having to pack your wheel around the store or having to mess with a club.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason the club works is that its for visible...If the jeep is in a dark corner where no one can hear or see it...then, they will beat it off. The whole key is to prevent them from even wanting to mess with the jeep...park in busy areas with lots of light...and believe it or not, tinted windows make it attractive...once they are inside, no one can see them....

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Build a club type device to lock your brake and clutch peddle together ,if you have a stick shift.So one can't be depressed without the other.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Removable steering wheels have been around for a while, along with a steering column cover and lock.
I'm not to keen on the removable floor shifter Idea, but a pit pin in the right place might have possibilities...
I'm not a horn or siren fan. A can of shaving cream or expanding foam kills them dead.
In the military, they just welded a piece of chain to the steering column, and rapped it around the steering wheel and put a pad lock on it.
I have a friend that just drilled a hole all the way through the steering column before he installed it, and now he just drops a pin in the hole to keep the steering shaft from turning. If you didn't know it was there, you would not likely find it.

PIT PIN: A pin that has a button on the head, and cannot be installed or remove with out pushing the button.
Found in sizes from 1/8" dia. to 1 1/2" dia., and all lengths. Most have provision for retaining or safety wires.
Found in abundance at military surplus stores, and great for spare tire racks, holding on jacks, gas cans, rigging, and about anything else you can think of. My entire bumper, brush guard, and winch assembly falls off when I pull 8 pit pins.
4 more take the front end off. I've never had a pit pin fail in 25 years of using them.
Happy trails. Aaron.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally, I do not think using the Club will help with total protection from your jeep being stolen. It is really easy to cut the plastic from the steering wheel so that they can detach the Club. I saw it on my local news. A person had a saw and it took like less than three minutes in cutting the steering wheel so that the Club will be off the steering wheel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something else to think about. Try using the Auto Taser. This will definetly not make a crook happy.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I worka as a tow truck driver, I've recovered lots of stolen vehicles, as have the police officers I work with. In the cases the club was used, the theives use 1 of three options:
1. Bend steering wheel with bare hands so that club falls off.
2. Brake steering wheel and remove club.
3. Cut the club off with bolt cutters.
In many cases, the club is then used to smash the windows when they are done beating on the vehicle. IMHO, theives don't need any more things to use to break windows, the club is useless against a theif who knos what he is doing. That's my $.02,

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
In regards to the auto tazer.......
I would'nt use that! After the slug got up he would'nt steal your car but you would'nt want it back!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
He's going to be so pissed off you won't have anything left to fix.
Believe me....have you ever been hit w/one?
I've had to & it ain't fun/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif but he will get up & knock the livin s**t out of your car. That was the first thing I thought of when I first saw them advertised> Just my$.02

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Just crank up the voltage in there a little bit, and the amps too.... Hmmmmm.. Oops, how did that get wired into that massive power transformer that I just accidentally parked next to... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Sandman 454's right if he can't get up you can write off everything I just said./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you will never stop a pro. but at least you can make it less attractive to low life scum that are not pros. that is where clubs and visible devices are useful. add an ignition kill and you will made it where they will have to waste time to take your rig. if it becomes too much work they will just leave it. most of the problems i have had is not loosing my rig, its having it broken into for my cheap stereo and the hope that there is a pack of smokes in the glove box. sad when what they take is worth less than the window you have to replace.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Thats my point Dan. Let them have my $2.00 in change or whatever but don't do $4000 damage getting to it.
If they want it-......-they'll get it! end of story.
Be cheaper leaving the windows down would'nt it?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Maybe we should leave a margarine tub with small change on the Jeep's hood so that people who need that last $.75 for that cheap bottle of wine won't have to bust the windows out or rip the soft top (in your CJ/YJ/TJ guys case) to get it. Kind of like the honor (sic) system in reverse. /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts