Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was wiring some 20" neon blue lights above the rear seat, and needed a switch for them. I was looking to where I could put it and found that the ciggarette lighter panel has plenty of room. I took it out and cut a rect. hole from the back to front, and there is room for 6-7 more in the future. Very easy operation but the overhead compartment seems better still.

Kevin

'89 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 four door, street glow shifter knob, 215/70R15 Mastercrafts.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Maybe I'm old and senile but more than 3 switches and I forget what is what and where I even put them too. Think maybe I've been smacked in the head too many times too. Thanks to ideas of Todd and Scram I've rebuilt my overhead console, the pic is crappy but the switches are labeled and best of all at night the display is lighted green too. I'll post a pic of the one I'm building for Scram because I think it's going to turn out much nicer.

89 XJ/lots of homemade mods...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That console is lookin awsome! I would like one, but have no money. Maybe I will put it on my wish list for my jeep! I want tires, rims, cd player and system, headers, cat-back, K&N air filter with no air box, tow hook reciever for 2" hitch, tow straps (not saying I will get stuck, but incase a ford does haha), TOOLS!, 3" lift in back to restore lost hieght of 12 yr old springs, and a console. I will get this all in different orders, but I want tires first! I want 30x9.5's REALLY BAD!

Kevin

'89 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 four door, street glow shifter knob, 215/70R15 Mastercrafts.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point, I wish everything was a doityourself, my truck would be done in about 3 days and capable of anything. I was thinking of how I could make the air tube about two weeks ago. When in doubt, I turn to this bbs.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
yup,

2.5" or 2.75" does the trick, and 2 half inch hose barbs to attach the two larger tubes too. The 2 little vacuum tubes at the back of the box are no longer needed. Your done $7 later!

Have fun,

Todd

88' XJ
3" rusty's
1.75" Shackles
2" RE spacers.
Rusty LCA's.
RE adj trackbar

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am matching my shifter nob, lights, and (future) CD player. As far as the 20"s, there is a 20" indent right above the rear seat, and I am running them about 4" away from the ceiling handles. The neons have a strobe effect, and a black light will not take effect.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
athonaj!!! Where did you get that little panel? It kicks ass. Did you get it off of something? I was wondering how you got such a sexy cut for the circle and the oval. It's got a nice lip to it so I'm guessing it's not just mill-work.

If I didn't have a Jeep, I wouldn't have a life.

'88 MJ SporTruck
Rebuilt 2.5L: 40 over rings, 10 on crank, 10 on bearings
nearing 400K

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Thanks man, you ready for a suprise? I built it all myself, no borrowed parts from anything, I even melted the ore to make the switches...ok that's going too far. But I did make the panel, comes from my experience with custom car audio installs (which I miss doing). You guys ever need something made as far as faceplates, mounts, panels, fiberglass enclosures for door speakers, putting radio faces in the rearview mirro...whatever, anything you can think of that you don't want to do just email me and I'll do what I can to help. I'm no longer in it to make a living and all you guys are really great so I won't charge you an arm and a leg like the install shops will. And I'll work for suspension parts! Plus since I've got an XJ I can pretty much build it to fit yours perfectly.

89 XJ/lots of homemade mods...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.