Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
500 miles ago I switched to synthetic (mobil 1) in my 4.0 tj. it only has 24,000 miles on it now, but is slowly leaking oil. It has since burned/lost about 1/3 of one quart of oil in 500 miles. When I look under the Jeep, I can see a small drip of oil coming from the bottom bolt in the front of some plate right in front of the clutch housing. There is none on the front of the plate facing the oil pan, so it must be coming from between this plate and the clutch housing. Why is it doing this, and what can I do about it? I very slightly tightened up the bottom bolt, but it hasn't stopped it. The leak is very slow, but annoying. It didn't leak with the conventional oil it used to use. Any suggestions.
Russ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If its only got 24,000 miles on it....by all means, take it to the dealer, it should be under the 3/36,000 mile warranty.....if so, its their problem, don't bother!

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Ditto. The synthetic oil did not make a difference, don't let them try to tell you otherwise. In the old jeeps (with felt gaskets), it makes a difference, not in the new TJ's. It's just coincidence. Take it to the dealer and have them fix the problem. Make them fix it right as well, don't let them use a sealer or other "method" to stop the leak. Once it reappears at 36,001 miles, you're responsible. I wouldn't even mention you use synthetic in the engine, no sense giving them ANY argument.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure that your oil drip isn't actually oil from the oil filter area. Any oil filter seepage can run down to the lower edge of the block, then run to the back of the engine and "look" like a rear main seal leak. The oil could come from an oil filter seal that didn't quite seal, or it could be from the last time you revoved the oil filter. BTW, I changed my '98 TJ 4.0 over to Mobil 1 around 32k miles, now 38k miles. I no longer "use" 1/2 quart between oil changes, because the synthetic doesn't have the short-chain hydrocarbons to boil off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.