Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be taking a little road trip here soon to pick up a Jeep and some Jeep parts (hence the on topic thing). Here in AZ gun carry laws aren't too opressive and I carry my 12 gauge with me, quail load in chamber remaining 5 slugs. I like the added security it brings and I'd like to take it with me. My trip will take me into New mexico, oklahoma, arkansas, and texas. Is it legal to carry a loaded long arm in these states? I know a handgun would be more practical but unfortunately the Govt says I can't have one/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gifAny help would be appreciated. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Talk about a prompt answer, thanks a lot. Does anyone know if that Oklahoma law applies to long arms as well? That makes a big diference here in AZ. Thanks
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Careful though.. I don't think that article address interstate transport of weapons. Interstate transport, even of a personal firearm is generally frowned upon down here. Like, we can't take a gun into GA or AL. I mean we could, but if we were caught for some reason, we'd be in deep doo doo.. There's no border check or anything, but if you were to get pulled over and a cop found your gun from Florida, he'd arrest you on the spot for illegal transport. In some states its a Federal crime to bring a handgun in from out of state without the proper permits.

You might wanna check with each state you are going into to make sure there is some sort of reciprocation law. My carry permit reciprocates with GA, so in my case I wouln't get arrested. However, that's not the same for AL, where they don't reciprocate our permits.

Just my .02$ but be careful!

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Travis:
I cant speak to the laws in N. Mex. or Ark. but the site from Austin Jeeper is correct as to Texas and Oklahoma. Texas allows a person to carry a loaded FIREARM (pitol, rifle, shotgun) in the vehicle if "traveling" (essent. into 3 counties or more). Tex Penal Code Sect. 46.15(b)(3).

Oklahoma is a little different. A loaded RIFLE or SHOTGUN can be carried in the vehicle if it does NOT have a round in the chamber and it is "transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle." 21 O.S. Sect. 1289.13. (Lot of good that does). An UNloaded "rifle, shotgun or pistol" can be carried "open and unloaded, at any time" by "any person, except a convicted felon." 21 O.S. Sect. 1289.7. This specifically includes carrying an UNloaded "rifle or shotgun concealed behind the seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle." 21 O.S. Sect. 1289.7. A shotgun inside the vehile must be unloaded, in plain view or behind the seat.

So you'll be fine traveling across Texas, but in Okl. keep it unloaded with your shells handy :) Interstate transfer really shouldn't be an issue if your just talking about 1-2 guns as protection and especially if unloaded, because of what the states' statutes permit you to do it. As for N. Mexico, we, like thousands of other hunters, carry unloaded rifles through N Mex. to Colo. every year.
Hope this helps,
Shain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really would like to see a federal concealed carry permit allowing loaded weapons in vehiles in all 50 states with one permit.

My other car is a BULLDOZER

·
Registered
458 Posts
Why should one need permission from the government to exercise your unalienable right to protect yourself? The whole thing is B.S. I suggest you all read "Unintended Consequences," by John Ross. It will give you a good perspective.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.