Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed a spreadsheet of all the expenses I've put into my jeep and realized I've made some
really dumb mistakes. I look at it now and ask myself, "what where you thinking"?
So I'm curious how much others have put into their jeeps including the purchase price of the jeep.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone but I'm at $13K.

Lee
PS Hopefully wives and girlfriends won't read this post

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can I get an Amen on the wives / girlfriend part!?

Anyway, I'm estimating 11.5K in my 5, that's including the axle swap in progress (hopefully it won't get too much higher from here).

I haven't had time to really make too many stupid mistakes, and in a year and a half, I think I've finally got most of the bugs worked out (knocking on wood, t-mission and t-case only left to be gone thorugh) I think I'm doing pretty good.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm at around 9K or so. Many homemade mods that kept the cost down, tho.

Jason '87YJ (350/NP435/D300/Narrowed GM-14FFDetroit/Narrowed D44/SOA/35x12.50)
Homemade: engine mounts,bulletproof tire carrier copy,twinstick,traction bars, axle narrowing, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well lets see :
Warn Lift "with all the crap that comes with it." 850.00
Tires "because of lift." 500.00
rear bumper/tire carrier "because I folded up the factory tire carrier on a steep incline." 300.00
Power steering conversion "scrap the manual pittman, 55.00 down the tube." 300.00
New carpet "I was in a drug induced coma. Now I have to justify the herculiner to my wife." 100.00 for carpet and 100.00 for herculiner.
TJ Flares "to repair body damage done to rocker panel and more clearance." 150.00
Warn Hub Conversion "I am sick of the 5-bolt hubs and all their crap. Christmas return money so my wife wont complain." 300.00
The list will get longer I am sure, Just use this formula to keep things all right at home 1 jeep part = 1 favor to the wife

AustnJPR

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mean other than the 18.5k new + interest? I'm only at about 2500 right now... Had to pay the bad boy off! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Maybe I do want my wife to read this post! She'll know I'm not crazy!

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

·
Registered
630 Posts
The very simple formula is to just double what you think you'll put into it. Mine totals up to about $7500.00 for an '84 CJ7, rebuilt 258, Weber, HEI, 4WD body, windshield frame and glass, stainless steel hardware, yada, yada, yada.

Like I told her when I bought it..........about $3500 will get us a dependable snow pusher and extra vehicle.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So far I can accurately say I have spent $12,561 on this beast and I still need to get a rear locker, R&P's, the rollbar, etc... I figure I will be into it al least 17K before I am even remotely happy. (noticed I did not say finished.)

Some of the big ticket items are: clean rust free 86 cj-7, engine rebuild, MPI, 4.0 head, header, T-19 with adaptor, warn winch, hubs, front ARB, Storage trunk, Lift, wheels and tires, etc...

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a tuff one, I've been working on and changing the same CJ7 for 14 years. But, in the last 2 years, about $3500, would have
been probably double that without doing everything myself! /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not counting repairs, my '74 CJ5 had a final tally of about $1,800 invested with the 2.5" lift & the 33" TSL's (mods being equal in price to the purchase). It was a rust-bucket, but at one point got me several hundred $$$ in prize money over the course of 3 mud races in 6 weeks.

The '78 CJ5 had about $4,000 in it including a much better body, a used 375HP 360 (VERY well built), 44's front & rear, 38" front TSL's, 38.5" rears, and some labor I paid to a couple of guys who helped with the buildup.

I've made due with a lot of stock & used upgrade parts to really keep the expenses down, but all of my tires have been brand new. I guess I figure that if the tires are junk, nothing else really matters.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figure about 12 or 13K, but I have done everything right the first time. No half-a#sing it. 1984 cj7, fiberglass tub and fenders, runk style bumpers,
steel windshield frame and new glass, linex bed liner, auto-meter gages, rebuilt 304 motor swap w/ edelbrock intake and carb, clutch fan, new
radiator,new seats, tuffy box and a cd-changer, kenwood amp,nice s-10 locking toolbox, tilt column, frame sanded and painted, boxed in some rusty spots, new fuel lines, gas tank, skyjacker softride lift kit, hard and soft top nad bikini, I think thats all but I am sure there more. That 12 or 13k is just parts no labor included.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I just totalled it up. I can hardly believe it, but it's $21,000 in the last 2 1/2 years. No wonder I call it Blackhole!

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I paid $3700 for my 84 CJ7 5 years ago.....as soon as I get back in town I will add up the cost but I would estimate at least another $6000....and thats doing all the work myself.....about $10K total.....but how do you put a price on having so much fun...not to mention the fact that my fiancee and daughters love it too.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figure I have about 15 large in my ole 84 cj-7 and she aint done yet! Still need rear disks, internal splined Warn front hubs, and those new revolver shackles are way cool. Of course some new BFG 35 muds would be nice....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t want to add it up but here are the parts

Jeep List 91 4.0
Purchase price $11,000. Used w/ 30k mi.

air shocks /plus in cab level control
trailmaster shocks
rancho/ dual in cab control rs 9000 shocks in front ( got a deal on the dual control)
Dual steering stabilizer
sky jacker
trailmaster (shocks will be gone this week end)
stainless brake lines
stainless steel rear disc brakes
tomken rear bumber and tire carrier
front bumper thumper (grill guard)
front racing bumper
aux off road lights
Mile marker full time 4 wheel drive
currie double cardan rear drive shaft
custom front driveshaft
borla header stainless
borla cat back stainless
random technologies catalytic converter stainless
K&N air filter
accel 20mm spark plug wires
accel hi out put coil
jet stage two offroad chip
jet low temp thermostat 160'
15x10 pbl aluminum rims
mickey thompsons 31X13.5 baja
detachable alpine tape deck
sub woofer
abs kick panel covers
xeon fender flairs
stone protectors/ front and rear
halogen back up lights
halogen turn signals\brake lights
spring over conversion
m.o.r.e. steering correction kit
m.o.r.e. trac bar with custom bracket
m.o.r.e. greaseable shackles
greasable main spring eyes
tow hooks
4"drop tow bar
borgenson steering shaft w/ shock absorber
4" drop pitman arm
hardtop
kwik release kit
steel horse half hard doors with sliding glass
air scoop for vent system
disconnect switches for door jamb buzzers
quick install door hinge mirrors
door sill protectors
stainless differential covers front and rear
hood lock
wheel locks
trailer light wire harness
soundbar
boomerang shackles
currie tail shaft eliminator kit
transfercase drop kit
alarm with remote pager
cobra CB
uniden scanner
shackle reversal kit
not counting the parts that broke or I thru away

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, mine is rather on the cheap side since I have done all the mods myself.
Purchase of the jeep(79 CJ-7): $200.00 (no-joke, basket case)
used tub: $500.00
4" suspension lift: $359.00
used 35" boggers with wheels: $600.00
Ramsey Winch w/ mounting plate: $500.00
TF-727 transmission: $125.00 (junk yard, but good)
Dana 300 transfer case and twin stick shifter: $150.00
roll cage: $100.00
Paint: $400.00
front and rear diff with lockers: $700.00
total: $3,634.00 or - a couple $100.00

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
MAN!!!!!!! My butt must squeak when I walk/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
If I even count spark plugs & oil I'm a tick over $1500 & I change oil at 2000k.
It's not a "trick" machine but not "TOO" bad.
Guess I'll just keep smilin/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: I plead the 5th!!!

oh man jeepskate, you have to tell :)

im at $11,000 over the past 2 years and this doesnt include the price of either jeep.

LarryM
'85 CJ7, 350TBI, T19
'00 TJ, 4.0, NV3550, D44

·
Registered
617 Posts
Re: I plead the 5th!!!

Used 91 YJ plus expenses... I just added up a rough guess of $25K, yikes. Of course this included blown engine, 4" lift, 33's, blown tranny, blown transfer case. If I added all the routine maintenance in (brakes, seals, exhaust) I would probably go a few thousand more. And I still have no lockers and stock axles, nuts. But I have all the other things.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.