Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 78 CJ-5 is leaking out of the breather after high speed driving( ok 55mph is high speed for my CJ). I filled it according to spec with mobile 1 80-90w gear oil, it was not overfilled. It has a 4" lift and the axle has 2 degree shim, other than that it is all stock. It has the stock 4.10 R&P and 33
' tires, so it should be spinning slower than stock when it had 225/75 tires, so why is it now spewing oil? Thanks for any ideas, and help.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm just asking. Are you sure you read the capacity as PINTS and not QUARTS? I read it wrong once myself. Went out and bought a crap load of gear lube and then realized I only needed alittle. Otherwise how long is your breather line? Is it just capped or do you have a length of hose on it?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has about 2 feet of line running up to the frame and that is capped with a filter. It didn't start leeaking until I added the degree shims to the springs. but it has been leaking quite a bit every time I drive it, it's got to be low by now but it is still leaking.

G

·
If you are sure your diff isn't over filled then I would tend to think that maybe your diff is creating excessive heat build up due to bearing wear.

Is the rearend quiet while driving at highway speeds???

Peanut

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.