Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have a picture of how the y-pipe is supposed to look with the factory y-pipe? Mine is rusting out and is going to have to be replaced with a custom one because no one anywhere still has them available (as far a I can tell from about 30 phone calls). Midas did the y-pipe I have now and I don't think it is the way it should be, it goes under the front drive shaft and just doesn't look correct. Thanks/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
-Mark

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mark, I believe one side does in fact cross under the front drive shaft. Also, you should be able to find a Y-pipe through Walker or Dynomax. Dynomax part no. is 43704. I talked to Dynomax yesterday, and my local Monroe muffler shop contacted Walker. I need to replace the entire exhaust system on my '77 CJ-5 304, so I'm looking for parts too. Oddly enough, Dynomax (248-594-9815)and Walker supply Y-pipes for the CJ-7 and not CJ-5, so you should be in luck for a "bolt-on".

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Hi Markey! We are thinking very seriously about not re-using the "TEE" pipe that came with our hot rod CJ 304. It is big pipe and all, with (I think) 401 manifolds, but we have to go the catalytic converter route for the smog nazis and the pipe as built is not X-actly what we need. What I was thinking about doing was using the drop and crossover portion of the RH pipe (Which DOES go under the shaft) and then use a TWO INLET catalytic converter to collect. Just do away with the TEE altogether since the tee isn't up to my expectations(It should have been a wye). I can buy a two-in, one out converter and do the job that way. If you are in smogville like we are (CA) maybe that's a possibility./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my exhaust custom built here in Ohio at a place called muffler brothers. He treated me really good because I had just put a new exhaust
on the 258 like 6 months ago. He built me a custom true dual with 2 shorty catalytic converters and glass pacs, from my headers back for
$311. I thought that was a hell of a deal and it really makes my new 304 sound good.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif That WAS a good deal./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where in OH is this shop? Sounds like a good deal!

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.