Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious. Have any of you AMC guys had any experience with the D.U.I. one piece HEI ignition? It looks simple enough but its awful pricey. 359.95 in 4WD Hardware.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
duraspark II. you can get all the parts new at the zone. dist and box. ask for one out
of a 76 cj-7. be careful not to let them give you a prestolite. cost @ $100. i know
rich and tom will disagree, but it is the best and easiest to install.

G

·
I went with a GM HEI worked great went in i 20 minutes. if you check the cj pages you should find detailed directions. basically you need a 6cyl chevy truck distibutor, a Jeep v8 distibutor drive grear, a set of ford 300 6cyl wires and a 8 ft. piece of #10 gauge wire is all you need .put the v8 gear on the 6cyl distibutor, drop it in, install the plug wires, run the #10 wire to a hot wire on the keyed side of the switch, set the time at around 10 btdc, and adjust from there. it's real simple and easy, you can do the whole thing for under $50.00 from a bone yard or even it you go new using an rebuilt distributor the whole set should run you less than $150.00, best part is there is only one wire to hook up and you also get a factory tach hook-up while your at it,its built right into the distributor. I went the boneyard route, its been it 4 year and all i've replaced was a 16.00 pickup. good luck

·
Registered
257 Posts
Search the shortwheel base board (or shortwheelbase.com) for the teamrush upgrade. I am totally pleased with it. I have the MSD box $130, a reman. electronic Dist. from a 79 cherokee w/360, MSD cap-adapt and wires. Runs great. I recommend it but have no experience with the others.

Good luck.
Scott

G

·
I'm running an AMC 360 w/ old wagoneer dura spark and some sort of after market coil. It works great and only took 15-20 minutes to install. Look at my earlier post on easy EI, it has the wire colors and install listed. Much much cheaper. And you can always get a fatty coil and plug wires for that Hi-performance feel. That's my next step.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.