Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to install my new 360 and the distributor has a 3 wire plug coming off it, my old 258 has one wire. I have both styles of ignition systems and can use either. Can I just use the system I have or do I have to switch over to the 3 plug style? If I have to switch..... any help on wiring? I followed what I believe to be 2 wire leads to the fuse block a red and a light blue. I'm thinking the red is hot and the lt. blue is an ignition feed. Any help or directions on this is appriciated. Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
if its a Duraspark distributer youll need that Ford box too

get a AMC HEI from that place in TX, one wire hookup, and slightly beter than Duraspark ( Ive heard)

Ive got the same wireing on mine ( If your 360 is a 1980 : ))
I can go out and look later if youd like

ozarkjeep
1977 CJ5 looking for a Hard top near NW Arkansas!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the place that builds the HEI for AMC's is Performance Distributors,Memphis Tennessee
http://performancedistributor.webjump.com/
everyone seams to complain about the price ,maybe they do not realize that these distributors use a different module,coil,and custom curved for your engine combination that is good from idle to 7000 RPM
OH YEA,you asked me a while back where in PGH I was from,Franklin Park,yea went to NA

JF1

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
No, actually that isnt the HEI for an AMC I had in mind, Id complain about $425 too!!!!
check out the one offered at

http://www.mm4x4center.com/

ozarkjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked out the site,not a lot of info,what were they asking for their's?
where are they located?
got the latest Performance Distributor catalog last week,they want $350 for their street/strip version which is good for 7000RPM and the race version which is good to 9000RPM for $425

JF1

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
they told me ( via email last week) you get them a used HEI, and they mate it to a New billet AMC distributer shaft for $60, he said they had some ones around and offered me one for $90 ( shipping of course)

ad on the performance module, and its still WAY under $350....

I have no link/experience just found them, they are freindly via email, Ill be buying one soon, and Ill give a report...

ozarkjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HEI style would be nice but I've already dropped a grand into the engine and don't have any more right now. The very next purchase in fact is going to be a HEI setup but I want to get it running soon. I am figuring on just using the motorcraft setup it is ready for and rewiring my jeep for that one. I don't think I'll have any problem except for trying to figure out what lines are hot and what are ignition. Lt. blue, dk green (to coil), and red are power feeds I believe. Am I right here? Color aside if you can help I can run the wires. I'm just not familiar with this ignition and don't know what wires are going where. Thanks

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just read a great post from TeamRush yesterday dealing with using the stock AMC/Motorcraft ignition. Go back to yesterday's posts and check it out.

'79 CJ-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does your old 258 have a point ignition system? A stock point distributor from an AMC V8, '66-'74 will work if you are modifing the sixes wire harness. Are you using the wiring harness off the 360 with motorcraft ignition? Then you may use the stock motorcraft ignition module. The light blue wire at the bulkhead connector is for the starter solenoid, and also to the ignition module for a starter sense. The red wire with a white tracer is the ignition on wire and must be connected to the ignition switch wire that has power even when the starter is engaged. The distributor three wire connector has a black wire which is ground, and a purple wire and an orange wire that are the trigger wires to the ignition module. They don't connect to the coil negative terminal like the point distributor wire did. Most shop manuals for the Jeep show a pretty good wiring diagram for the motorcraft system. The MSD system is another option, it's less money than the DUI, very reliable and is 50 state legal and you don't need another distributor. (It works with the Delco point or Motorcraft electronic distributor) Hope this helps, good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just swapped a 304 into my cj which had a 258. I had 2 wires from the distrib. going to the ignition module. When I changed to the 304 there were 3 wires coming from the Pickup coil in the distrib. I had to run the 3rd wire to the ignition module. I found this out cause there ARE 3 wires on the module but only 2 after the plug. I just spliced the 3rd wire into the module before the plug.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The later 258s with computer systems need the added wire when bypassing the computer or switching to the V8.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 258 was originally a 77 with electronic ignition. the 360 is a 78 with electronic as well. the 2 use different ignition modules though and the wiring from the distributor are different as well. connecting these 2 to work is where I'm confused. Can I even use the 2 together or do I have to swap ignitions?

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Post deleted by TeamRush

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Team Rush is giving you good advice here, the setuyp from the 360 is the one to have, and if you want the performace get the larger FORD cap...

what do you mean about the older 360's have a cast crank TEAMRUSH? are you implying the newer ones have a forged crank??

ozarkjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my engine is a 78 so is that going to be the better crank or not? It has 9.5:1 cast pistons, a mild cam and edelbrock performer intake and carb. I'm not sure what rpm range that will work out to, but it won't be too high. It is going into my CJ and used offroad and as my almost daily driver, but economy isn't a huge concern since I'll only be getting like 7 miles per gallon anyway. I'm just looking to get as much out of it as I can. I do want to do an ignition upgrade very soon but with the new edelbrock parts I've just put into the engine I can't afford that right now. I need to get it running as cheaply as I can with the ignition I have and use it that way for a few months. Then I'll be going for the upgrade when I have the cash. If you can help me out with getting it going with what I have I'd appriciate it. If not, thanks for the time and I will certainly contact you in the future when I'm ready for the upgrade. Thanks again, Brian

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Post deleted by TeamRush

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd like to consider using a TBI setup in the future on my engine, but with the cost off all I just bought, that falls behind even the upgraded distributor. Since this is my first big engine in a CJ I don't want to go too crazy with parts and cost until I know if I'll be able to keep the front tires on the ground. Fiberglass body, CJ5... I've heard wheelstands will be no problem. I'm a bit worried about it. The power will be nice, but I want to keep it a good driver too. I'm also thinking my t150 isn't going to hold up to the power either so I'm saving a few $ for the parts to rebuild my t15 too. Ohh, don't knock your nephew for being 22. He's still got me beat by a year. I'm not really into seeing how fast my jeep can go though. I just like the looks I get at the stop lights... and if I'm going too fast I'm not as likely to hit them all anyway. I did almost buy a vortec V6 instead of the 360 but decided to keep it simple and stick to the basics for now. It was only $150 complete without harness. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and help here. I hope I can get the ignitions wired up right so I don't have to swap it all now. Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Post deleted by TeamRush

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry but I couldn't. I've been away from my motor for a little while. I took a look at it today. All I can say is that it has 3 wires coming out of it and no markings. No numbers, no motorcraft, nothing. Ohh, not a points style. It is supposedly '78vintage. I don't know what else I can tell you about it. Let me know if I can. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 26 Posts