Does anybody have any info on how to swap a AMC 360 into
a CJ7. It has a 258 in it right now. I found a couple of
G.W. at the boneyard last week and I am think this might
be a good swap for the Jeep.
Thanks, RCJ7

·
Registered
424 Posts
hey, just thought id let you know i got a 360 in mine and i love it. even though i dont know much about all this crap, i havent ever run out of power, but then again i havent had it for a while. But just the other night i lifted part of the front end of the ground just from starting out, some dumb teenager trick i did, not to bright of me, wasnt paying attention though(very bad). well have fun with the swap
Andrew

1978 CJ-7 amc 360, T-18, D44 rear w/ detroit, 3.5 lift, 32 BFG mudds.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
youll need one side factory CJ V8 mount, or you can fab your own, or you can buy aftermarket like M.O.R.E. I t hink they make some.

youll also need a 360 flywheel if your running a stick, or a flexplate if auto ( flywheel is $250 new hard to find used, flexplate is $45 new dont try a used flexplate)

the ignition wiring will be the same or similar, the bellhousing is the same, the radiator may or may not be up to the task depending on age/clogs and your usage/climate

the fuel lines and throttle cable will have to be modified.

hmmm, a rebuild kit for a 360 is available from northernautoparts.com

thats the chepest Ive found they started at $379, I think they are near $500 now, but its a complete kit.

if the engine you buy doesnt have good oil pressure spend the $219 on a NEW AMC V8 timing cover and run it, if hte pressure comes up and the engine pulls strong great youyr lucky, if its still bad the bearing clearances are bad in the engine and now you can rebuild and use a NEW timing cover to have new oil pump clearances.

hope its helpful

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just wondering if there were oversized oil pump gears available? You would think that a machine shop could machine the housing and put in new gears for less money then a new housing is worth. Has anybody gone that route?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...take the large hex bolt out of the bottom of the oil pump. Be carefull there is a 'pressure relief' spring in there, you can take that spring and s-t-r-e-t-c-h it out a 1/4" and it will increase the pressure-more tension less loss of oil pressure...works great. DO NOT use heat.

Mark (OIIIIO) Langmotorsports(business)
1977/CJ7/Glasstub/460ciFord/C6Auto/NP205/4"LIFT/33'S

·
Registered
523 Posts
You can buy a new flywheel from 4wd.com for about $140 if you can get away with stock. part # 3196929

do you need a billet steel one? most of use don't.

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts