Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if I should use a AMC 360 ( which I own already) or if I should use a GM 350 for my V8 conversion in my CJ-7? What are the pro's and con's. Thank's in advance.

Hoot

86/79 CJ-7. The louder the better/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif=

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im a die hard AMC fan so i say keep it in the family and go 360.
Pros- You got it...Its cooler... You can buy them for $50 at the bone yards.
Cons- No FI (unless rigged) ... heavy...
Theres more but im tired. Id say go AMC. I swapped in an AMC 401 in my
88 YJ... Now how many YJs do you see with a 401? Now how about 350s?
Which would be cooler? Which would be more unique? I rest my case :eek:)
Dustin

JeepChild

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will spend ALOT more building a 360, and there are alot more parts for 350's. I think a 360 is cooler though. I spent $1350 on rebuild parts, and machining. This was the cheapest I could find too.

Jesse

Ignorance is the first step to knowledge.

· Registered
4,757 Posts
this has been beat to death on this board, but......go with the 360.. unless you have a tranny and x-fer case for the chevy allready..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
I can go into and auto supply store in any jerk water town and get parts for my Chevy. With the AMC, I would have to rent a motel room for three days while I wait for shipping on a water pump or whatever.

· Registered
4,675 Posts
Ive never had ANY problems getting parts for my 360, Oreillys even had the thermostat housing in stock!

its costs more to rebuild an AMC V8 than a Chevy, but an AMC 360 is the cheapest of the AMCs to build..

and how many times are you going to have to rebuild it anyway?
on a personal note, AMCs sound lots better to me

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

· Registered
1,134 Posts
There are more 350's at bone yards than 360's, no questions asked.
The 350 will definitely be cheaper, you can go fuel injected straight from the bone yard too, better cam selection, easier/cheaper to find alt, starter, brackets.....
But yes, the 360 is more unique, good power, and it is "JEEP" OEM equip.
Unless you are matching numbers on a rebuild project, just get a 350, and save money and frustration!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A 360 can be bolted into any CJ7 using all factory components. No aftermarket adapters required. And you already have one. You can build & maintain a 350 cheaper, but it'll cost you more to put it in there. If you're not planning a serious performance build (300HP or up), go for the 360.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Guys thanks for the response. I am going with the AMC 360. I just sentout to the machine shop today to have it blue printed, balanced and completely rebuild high performance. Do you guys think the Torque flite 999 tranny will hold up or should I have the Turbo 400 rebuilt and get the adapter for the Dana 300.

Hoot

86/79 CJ-7. The louder the better/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TH400 all the way. You'll be re-doing that 999 at a fairly rapid rate (dude around here has his redone every year & sometimes still has to have it redone mid-year/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif).

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

· Registered
4,675 Posts
a non lockup TF727 is just as strong as a Th400 ( ask anybody with an older 3/4 ton dodge truck)

they are dirt cheap out of wagoneers, and it BOLTS to a dana 300

you can even get a lock up converter tf727 to save gas if you cruise the highway often, you cant get a lockup TH00 AFAIK

with a TH400 your limited to most likely a Quadratrack, if your lucky a Dana 20 ( pretty rare) or $400 in adapters to whatever case you want..
You can buy and rebuild a Tf727 for the cost of the th400 adapter, with teflon thrust washers, valve body kit, and kevlar bands...

your choice!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.