Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a heavy duty AMC 20 out of an 83 Wagoneer. I am finding conflicting information concerning Gear setup Torque specs. I do not have an Factory Service Manual for the years these were used so I am trying to find infomation online. Some sources say 65 ft-lbs for the ring gear bolts others say as high as 105 ft-lbs. Some say 65 ft-lbs for the bearing caps other say 87 ft-lbs. The only thing all my sorces seem to agree on is Pinion Preload of 15-25 in-lbs and back lash of 6-10 but all axles are about the same in those specs.

If anyone has a FSM could they look up the specs for Ring gear bolts and Bearing caps that would be a big help.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Re: AMC 20 Setup Need Help From Someone with an F

The '78 FSM doesn't list the HD AMC. Apparently they were using D44s and D60s in the FSJ Jeeps. But the torque specs for the differential should be the same for all. Here's what it has:

Diff bearing cap bolts - 87 80-95
Ring gear to case - 105 95-115

The first number is service set-to and the second is in-use recheck.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

[ QUOTE ]

Diff bearing cap bolts - 87 80-95
Ring gear to case - 105 95-115

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it these numbers are for the CJ AMC 20? If so thanks and they shoulc be the same for the HD. Looks like the table in the back of the setup instructions I Downloaded from randys ring and pinion are all wrong. Now I have to clean out the lock tight and retorque.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,504 Posts

Yes, those are for the 1978 CJ AMC20.

Why don't you send Randy's a note informing them of the error before someone makes an expensive mistake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts