Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellow Jeepers....I now have my AMC 20 rear end back into my 84CJ after adding solid axles, 4.10 gears and an ARB.....here is what I learned.

1. As usual, it takes twice as long as I expected.
2. Maybe what the experts charge for doing it is more of a fair price than I realized.

Ok...all jokeing aside...its done. It was a lot of work but worth it. First, let me talk about the axles. I chose the Superior axles that I bought from Drive Train Direct. I am very happy with them. Very complete kit and good instructions. My old 2 piece axle on the left side had already striped and the only thing keeping it from spinning was the key. The Superior kit does not use shims, however, it has spacers between the inner seal and bearing that have to be ground down to get the right spacing. Also, the bearings will have to be pressed on....not something that most of us have in our garage.

The locker is the famous ARB. I chose it because my jeep is a daily driver and I did not want to have to deal with the posible problems of an automatic locker. The instructions are great and it all went together without problems.

My gears were from 4 Wheel Wholesale...(yes, I know, but no problems)...once again, good instructions. This is one area where the profesionals earn their money. Its a lot of work. First, you need a press to remove the pinion gear. If you do not have a pinion gauge then you have to go through several interations of removing the pinion gear and bearing until you have the right depth. Of course, if you make a mistake, you will have to replace the crush bearing and pinion nut. Next, you need a dial micrometer (don't we all have one?). I'm lucky in that my work had most of the tools I needed.

While I was at it I cut off my spring perches and re-welded them at the correct angle so that I don't need the shims to adjust the axle angle. LET ME TELL YOU...it was a lot of work cutting them off. However, it was worth it. I gained at least 1/2 to 3/4" in lift (the thickness of the shim). While I was at it I welded the axle tubes.

Ok....its all done...and all works...EXCEPT...that I have a slight whine in my rear end...but only on deceleration. I would like to hope that I need to put a few more miles on it....but some how I feel that I did not get something set up right. If anyone out there has any experience in this area....I have been humbled enough to take any advice.

Hope to hear from all while I spend the time cleaning up the garage and the grease off my hands and arms.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Very impressive undertaking!

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I'm downloading this for the Jeep tech file Dep A Dee. We are going to have to do the exact same thing to our Model 20 eventually. My experience has been that new gears do howl for a while (you should have heard our Karmann Ghia after I had the transaxle rebuilt by "experts") but they eventually quit. HOWEVER, they usually howl continuously, or on power application. Why not check the pinion bearing setup after a few days, using the brake-drums-off-and-driveline-disconnected routine, just to see how it feels, and if the pre-load seems right. I know what you mean by cleaning up; last week I had both our Grand Cherokee apart (first wrench on it in 90 thousand miles) AND our Pontiac Grand Am. It looked like I had a tool box explosion after I was done. Not to mention the tranny fluid, grease, rags, and other crud all over. This was a nice project on your CJ. A worthy upgrade to be sure. Dave

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having done a similar mod recently (Detroit Locker) I'm thinking another possibility is your ring to pinion gear backlash may be a
little tight. 5 to 9 thousandths, if I remember correctly. Also, read Randy Lyman's article on breaking in new gears, VERY
important.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do you know how much to have the spacers ground down? I am about to do this on my 84 cj, since all of you guys finally got me looking in the right place for the problem I figure since I'm keeping the jeep I should make sure I don't spin these jokers again.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I would think a noise on deceleration isnt a good thing!

wha did the gear pattern look like?

Im in the process of learning how to set up gears, and my TEACHER, says quiet gears are good gears.

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4x4...The superior instructions are very good. Install the seal, bearing and spacer in the axle tube (this is before you press the bearing on the axle)...just measure how far it sticks out using a micrometer (doesn't everyone have one?). Then you just grind it down...the metal is soft so even a belt sander will work.

Ozark,
The gears come with instructions that show what it should look like. Since I first wrote the above post, I re-did the rear gears. What most instructions don't tell you is that the pinion depth is REAL critical. Just a .010 shim makes a big difference. Start with the original spacer that came out, then go from there. Its also worth the time to take your old front pinion bearing and open it up with a moto tool so that it slids on the pinion gear real easy. This makes the job a lot quicker.

One other point...once you have the pinion dept, backspacing and preload set, add about .004 to each side of the carrier. This will insure enough preload...you should have to use a hammer to tap the carrier in place...if slides into place easy, then there is not enough preload.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
thanks for the headsup John!

ive read that about hogging the pinion bearing out for ease of fit before, ive got a spare hangin out back, Ill clean and clearance it before I ever start!

how do you do the trial fit with the crush sleeve on an AMC20? ive been wondering this, and dont you have to torque the pinion nut to some ridiclous FT pound spec to collapse it?

are you gears totally quiet now?

im about to install 4.56 front and rear ( D44 f, AMC20 R)and I want to know if they will last or not! my helper told me if they are quiet and the pattern looks good htey will last, if they are noisy we will know right away and be able to reset them before any damage is done.

Im learning!

thanks!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.