Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am going pretty much stock, maybe 4.0 head swap, and I am replacing the pinion seal in my AMC 20, should I go ahead and do the 1-piece axles at the same time? Does it make a difference when I do it $$ wise?

'85 CJ7 Bone Stock, in pieces

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
do yourself a favor and retorque those nuts on the axles to 400ftlbs. I run 33's and have yet to spin a hub. I do re torque about every 6 months though. You do need one hell of a torque wrench though. I would want till they brake before you do the swap.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I pay for the pinion seal to be done, I am guessing they are going to have to set the backlash correct? If I replace the axles later, will I be paying for this again or will it not affect the gear setup? I am not clear on the diff arrangement.

'85 CJ7 Bone Stock, in pieces

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
The axle shafts don't have any effect on the gear setup.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Do yourself a favor and add some Loctite 640, Sleeve Retainer to the hub and axle assembly when you put it together. It's designed for use in this application and will prevent them from spinning. Use some Loctite 242 on the bolt threads as well. I torqued mine to 350, so 400 sounds about right, and never spun one again, but I did swap out the rear axle anyway.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.