Off Roading Forums banner

Am i in the right place? 2006 v6

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Dex 
#1 ·
Short wheel base ,but i do have a problem, its 2wd, auto trans???

#2 · (Edited)
Cluncking rear end

It clunks on up and down shifts ,,more so on the downs.,, but not always but 75% of the time and its the same sound on up shifts sometimes, it is comming from the rear of the truck,, u- joints seem to be ok? Any help or ideas?? Dex most always at slow speed 25--40 mph,, any help ??? dm1954@comcast.net im starting to pull a 12' box pop up camper and i dont want to get stranded on hwy if something lets go, yes the gear lube is full. it did this before i started my pulls with camper

#3 ·
Now you're in the right place :D

Ujoints would be my suggestion. Looks can be deceiving. The needle bearings in the cap get dried out and eventually will grenade.

I'd also pull the rear diff and have a look.

Has the noise gotten worse or has it always been consistent? I just ask because I've got a good clunk that's fairly regular.

#4 ·
clunks sound in the rear

yes it has gottin worse,, sounds are in rear but mostly at right rear, as i bhear it but only about 90 % of the time?? only at up and down shifts, automatic trans. but yes ill install new u joints and drain and pull off the the cover and look at gears? thanks DEX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.