Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please give me the Pro's and cons of Nylon vs Aluminum 1" body lift. I'm considering (for price):
Performance Accessories 1" nylon from Quadratec for $64.95
or
Rusty's aluminum 1" kit for $59.
My initial thought is to go with aluminum for durability, but all thoughts/opinions/suggestion are appreciated.
Thanks,

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/

G

·
I went the more expensive route ($120) and got the Daystar 1" body lift. This kit doesn't add a spacer between the existing body mount and the frame. It replaces the body mounts with a 1" taller one piece polyurethane mount. I've heard a few companies are having problems with the plastic spacers splitting in half due to the torsional stresses inflicted during off-roading. Haven't heard of this problem with the aluminum spacers. I really like the Daystar kit, they don't make one for my application (72 CJ-5) so I had to adapt the 76-up version. I ended up with about 1-1/2" of body lift due to the differences between my body mounts and the style the kit was designed for.

My other car is a BULLDOZER

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've considered the Daystar one piece kit, but am not using it for the following reasons:
I already have a set of newer poly bushings for my CJ-7
AND
i'm putting on a YJ tub, so I was going to buy a YJ 1" body lift (instead of CJ) so I can get the proper bolts to thread into the YJ tub. It sounds a bit complicated, but in order to avoid the largest amount of modification, it's easiest to go with CJ-7 poly body mounts and a 1" body lift from a YJ. YJ poly bushings wont fit in the CJ's frame body mounts, and the CJ-7 bolts won't thread into the YJ tub...whatever...my brain hurts now.

G

·
I like the Daystar 1" body lift, I looked at the aluminium pucks but after a little re-search I was told over and over again that the re-action of the body metal to the aluminium would cause rust quickly. the Daystar kit is complete and somewhat inexpensive. About 65.00 I think.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

· Registered
1,134 Posts
I would think that the nylon would allow for a bit more body flex than the aluminum mounts. If you do a "hard mount" configuration with the alum, you could bend portions of your tub?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
what would u suggest if my bushings are trashed and need bushings and a 1 inch body lift? go with the daystar 1 inch lift that has the inch longer body mounts? i am also putting yj tub on a cj frame in the next couple of weeks (the sooner the better :)) what would u suggest for body mounts/ lift yj/cj
thanks
Andy

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
84CJ7,
If you read my post above...I know it's a bit confusing...you'll get this:
If you use the Daystar 1" integrated lift from a CJ, then the bushings will fit into the holes in the body mounts on the frame, BUT the bolts will not thread into the holes in the YJ tub.
If you use the 1" integrated lift for a YJ, then the bushings will not fit in the holes in the body mounts on your frame, BUT the bolts will thread into the YJ tub.
That is why I'm going with separate body mount bushings and 1" lift.
If you get the poly bushing kit for a CJ, they will fit into the holes in the frame body mounts with NO modification, then if you get a 1" body lift for a YJ they will come with the correct bolts to thread into the YJ tub.
So, if you buy separate body mount bushings and 1" lift, they will all fit with NO MODIFICATION...that is the point of my above post.
Hope that clears things up.

· Registered
1,976 Posts
Dan Another option would be to buy the Daystar 1" body lift, if that was what you wanted and replace the bolts with a good grade 5 from the hardware store that had the same length as the Daystar kit and the same thread as the YJ bolts.
GP'n

· Registered
856 Posts
Anyone know if you can still get the rubber body mounts for a cj mine are in really bad shape but I don't want to go with poly.I have been looking throught the J.C. Witney catalog for the roll of rubber someone mentioned a while back but can't find it.

I think Aluminum or anything hard would defeat the purpose of having a body mount system at all .I rode a hardtail harley for years but had enough sence to put a springloaded seat on it.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

G

·
the role of rubber is 24 inches for 25 bucks plus shipping, it is carried by 4wd hardware it is used for the fiberglass body mounts.
later
Andy

G

·
YJ94- ask me in a couple of months. I'm waiting for a JKS 1.25" body lift right now. We both know how bad the bouncing can be on the freeway here, but I'm not too worried about it. Are you still looking for some additional clearance for those 33's?

G

·
In got th old 1" hockey puck lift...4 years running and hockey country up here they are $1 a puck-I am not kidding...this really works! NO PROBLEMS! I wouldn't recommend going higher than 1" on the body.

~~TIM~~

CJ-7 10"lift

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.