Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest altitude adjustments to timing and/or choke for my fishing trip next week? I'll be taking my Wagoneer to Colorado. I'm usually around 7000 to 9000 ft and it is going to be cold/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif. Of course it's crazy, but it's one of the few times I can get away and there are no other fisherman around when you go this time of year/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif. I am in Kansas and the Waggie runs great here but it usually is starved for air when I get up high.
I appreciate any help. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
BTW it is snowing in Wichita. CJDave we usually get NO snow or very little. Can we all pitch in with your moon crew and PLEASE get the SnoJeep finished soon?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
Oops, I almost forgot, 360 with Motorcraft 2150 carb /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Add about 4 degrees of base timing. This will lean out main mixtures. It sounds funny, but, it will raise your manifold vacuum and allow the power valve to pull slower. Then set your idle mixtures the same way as normal, about a 10% lean drop. As far as the choke goes, open the choke unloader (choke brake) up about 2 degrees, this will help stop fooding when cold. If you really want to get into the carb, drop one main jet size, and raise two air correction jet sizes, but most people just lower the float level 2/32. This will allow the main metering to come in a little slower. Sometimes, it is necessary to change the diverter valve to a high altitude one. Most diverter valves wont switch fast enough on decell, and cause backfiring. Usually just the timing change and choke unloader adjustments are enough. hope this helps

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dorfs, I need a little more air when I get in the Rockies. So does the Waggie. I keep trying to find the screws to my choke but I can't get past the floor of my sinuses. Thanks for your help./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Actually Brit, my head moonguy here/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif just reminded me that the 2150 has an aneroid for altitude adjustment right on the carb. I just put a 2150 on our 304 and haven't tried it yet. I downloaded dorfs post for future use. Some of these guys are sharp on this stuff. My moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif are always amazed at how much you can learn. Last evening the crew pulled the water pump off the 304, and I can tell you it was a struggle. This Jeep sat for almost five years, and the aluminum water pump made a lot of jelly and the bolts rusted in real good. We got them out without snapping any off, thank goodness. The pump's OK, just needed a cleanup and new bolts. Have a great trip in the Waggie. My 2150 carb used to live in Co Spgs and was on a '91 waggie./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounded familiar, so I looked in the Haynes manual (Gotta get the factory shop manual still). By gum, most of the 2150's have that altitude aneroid. I need to get out and check mine. Wouldn't it still be a good idea to advance the timing as well? The Waggie sure bogs down about the time I start to climb just west of Denver. Thanks for the input! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife just got back from the store. She sure likes driving the Wag when the weather gets bad./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif BTW Dave we have 5-6" of snow and more on the way. Can I talk to the head Moon Guy or should we just start taking up a collection to get the SnoJeep done so the snow will return where it belongs? My Waggie has the altitude aneroid on it. I'll bet someone has a trick way to find out if it is functional without taking it off. It doesn't look like much to get it off though. Thanks again/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif and keep us posted on the SnoJeep progress!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I would definitely go with dorfs recommendations nonetheless. We have the 2150, but I don't really know very much about it. All I know I learned right here from dorfs and from CJ-8/5.2 Mag...that's Marty.....ace jeep mechanic....dealership trained....knows Jeeps inside and out, especially the stock arrangements. We have been going hard on the SNOJEEP, doing some really pesky and difficult stuff. Jeepchick keeps wanting to put in the seats and carpets but I keep telling her that we must do the first thing first and the second thing second. I am STILL buying hose and stuff to complete the under-hood smog/vapor control/etc. stuff. It's getting to look very crowded and messy despite my efforts to make it cleaner than stock. Our lonely ski area opened yesterday with a bare minimum of snow. They are at 6500, we are at 4500, and bare as a baby's behind./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.