Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 95 pick up with a four banger i need a bigger alternator any info will help sorry its short got to go to work thanks PJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does the truck have A/C??? I put a second alternator in my OTHER truck using the A/C mounts and pulley drive for it. I had 2 seperate circuits, one to run the stock stuff and a second for accessories, worked great and if my new truck didn't have A/C I would do the same again(would be 4th time). You can get a 80 amp gm alternator at a fair price, a little fabbing and wiring and BOOM, over twice the power and with insurance as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I blew mine last year. Too much power going out and the engine sitting at idle on the highway while we crawled home with about a million other people that sunday night.

I brought it into a ALT/Starter shop that was recomended to me. They offered to rebuild it in about an hour. When I got back they said It was only putting out 45 amps (stock is around 65-70). They then offered to sell me another rebuild rated for around 100 amps.

An hour later I picked up the replacement just as Crazy Ivan was finishing the test runs. With a Marty Feldman look in his eyes he gave me the run down. "I switch to smaller pulley for you, It pootz hout 85 amps at idle." They even threw in a new cable for the extra juice.

Well the 100 amp alt was a touch bigger but eventully I was able to nestle it up against the engine, without having to dismantle anything other than the front skidplate.

The whole deal cost me 135 canuck bucks (CAA took care of the tow). It's not huge improvement, but I didn't need much extra juice (no welder or insane number of daylighters).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts