Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to set up some gears but I can't find any gear marking compound in the parts stores around here. Is there anything else that will work?
Thanks,
Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A local gear shops here told me the best place to get marking compound was from the local GM dealer. Part# 1 #1052351
It's bright Yellow and cost me about $10 Canadian for the 1oz tube.
It's relatively cheap and from a local source so you don't have to wait three days to get it from one of the mail order places and you don't have to pay shipping either.
As for the local parts places are really only good for spark plugs and air filters. The speciality stuff they just don't bother stocking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody once told me I could use Desitin (yes, that stuff you put on a baby's butt when they get diaper rash!).
Out of desperation one time, I used colgate (because it's white) toothpaste. I had bought some prussian blue gear marking compound and lost it. Obviously driving to the store to get some more wasn't an option so I made do with the toothpaste. When it came time to test drive the new gears, guess what I found sitting on my driver's seat?

-Dorian
www.4Low.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great tip on the GM part number. The toothpaste is a great trick but I think I will go to the chevy dealer and get the stuff.
Thanks,
Aaron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.