Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was testing my low end torque doing some dirt hill climbing in 4 low at about 1/10th throttle. Suddenly, my accelerator stuck wide open, and my clutch went clear to the floor! This happened once on flat ground when an electric choke part came loose and with some sort of astronomical odds popped up and pulled my throttle open - so I didn't think much of it. I seriously speed up the hill, but kept it well under control. I didn't want to cut the engine, because I didn't exactly like the thought of being stuck half way up this killer hill with who knows what problem. I got to the top, shut it down, popped the hood, and whoa! My D/S motor mount was busted in two distinct pieces! The engine torqued over at least 4" and ripped off my air cleaner cover on the nut in the center of the hood that the windshield tie down is bolted to! Now I will put some stainless steel chains on that bad boy in addition to my motor mount. I would be crying to you all right now if I had dropped that motor and tranny completely out of the rig!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Er...ah, chain restraints; or better yet, cables; have been a part of outrageous racing for a long time. It usually takes once to convince the guy, but after the fan digests the shroud or eats the upper radiator hose, some action is usually taken. Heh heh ...you got off easy./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Heck, my stock 70 Chevy pickup had them, right from the fac tree./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey CJDave - what is the best length to install these? How much or how little play do you want if any at all? Is there a kit on the market that I can look at to fab my own? As you can tell by the photos, I have never installed these, but as you have said - I am "convinced" and "ready to take action!" Wow! Talk about screwed! I don't know what I would have done if I had dropped the whole piece of iron and aluminum out there on that hill. I don't know of a "field expedient repair" or "trail fix" to correct something that severe.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You have to look at the original mounts and see how much running room you can stand to leave. Then find a spot where the restraints will hold in the right direction. The stock Chevy setup even had little metal sleeves to protect the cable where it went around sharp corners, and there wasn't all that much room left for movement. It doesn't take much, and you don't WANT much.
Cable IS better because it will not have such a "bang" when it hits the limit of it's length. Go to a rigging shop and have some nice ones made with pressed thimbles on each end./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
hmm ever have a 258 break one on the passenger side and have it tear off you oil filter???.. only took me 2 times till i learned
~~Elusive!~

G

·
try using industrial turnbuckles with that. then you can adjust some preload into it to play, and soften it up a little for the street. Competition Engineering makes what you are looking for if you dont want to fab one.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.