Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What vehicles could I get a dana 44 rear out of to put in my 1980 Jeep CJ5. If the axle is wider than stock that is fine.

2. I just bought a 360 for the same Jeep. I have never done an engine swap so is this one easy or hard? What do I have to do?

3. Also, my friend asked me why a spring over flexes better. I know it does but I don't know why(I'm trying to convince him to do an soa instead of a 4" Rubicon Express on his Wrangler).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would reccomend scout axles instead and they are wider so you get a beter stance. As far as the motor, the 360 is nice i have a 304 and i chirp all 3 gears....although i did beef it up quite a bit. Definately go with the soa if he is going to be doing a lot of articulating but if not go with the 4 inch supsension lift. They make a hell of a lift too. Good Luck

I enjoy working on friends four wheel drives but especially my own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the reasons an SOA flexes better is people usually use stock springs, which generally have less archa and a lower spring rate.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
1. What vehicles could I get a dana 44 rear out of to put in my 1980 Jeep CJ5. If the axle is wider than stock that is fine.

You can get stock width from a '72-'75 CJ-5 or a Commando.

2. I just bought a 360 for the same Jeep. I have never done an engine swap so is this one easy or hard? What do I have to do?

Haven't done one but it's supposed to be fairly simple. Basically a drop in if you have a 304, requires changing one motor mount bracket if you have a 258.

3. Also, my friend asked me why a spring over flexes better. I know it does but I don't know why(I'm trying to convince him to do an soa instead of a 4" Rubicon Express on his Wrangler).

It's generally done with stock springs which are softer & flatter. With most lift springs, they start out with stock length (eye to eye) springs and then arch them for the lift...this in effect pre-"droops" them...that is, part of the down-travel that you'd get out of them is lost to the arching process. There ARE some very flexy 4" and greater lifts, but they're not the standard run-of-the-mill $400-600 kits...you're talking RE Extreme Duty and custom National Spring here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.