Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AJ\'s fiberglass bodies???

I have been doing some research and AJ's in Pa seem to make some pretty nice bodies. I am leaning towards them for my upcoming winter break body swap. They have 10 guage steel that you can drill and tap for your hardtop hole re-enforcements and winsheild hinges and door mounts....as well as metal re-enforced body mount plates...anyone have an opinion or bought/heard/seen or tasted one?

thanks
~TIM~

I'm not afraid of dying...I'm scared of not living

chevy-Cj-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: AJ\'s fiberglass bodies???

I have been hard wheeling for 10 years with my AJ body on my CJ 5 and have no complaints. They produce a good product.

80 CJ5, 52M38

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts

I have an AJs, had/have five problems. I have a crack at one of the hood hinges on the cowl. The
fiberglass separated from the metal reinforcement at one of the spare tire rack mount points. The grille
on the one piece front end molded just a little further back than it should be. The front flares didn't fit
quite right. I have a couple of stress cracks behind the left door.

The first two were probably my fault, I tightened the hood hinge too much and I got the metal too hot
when I cut out for the tailgate. The grille isn't a big problem, I even had room for the A/C condenser
coil, but it's close. I had to do a little 'glass work to get the front flares to suit me. Nearly all fiberglass
shows some stress cracks after time.

I've had mine about 6 or 7 years, and I am quite happy. I am the most happy with the one piece front
end, I can change the oil without even getting on the ground. Makes any engine work a lot easier too.

BTW-it's a CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I rec'd my AJ's tub about 4 weeks ago and am very pleased with the quality of it. I got the deluxe tub, tailgate reinforcement, liner, and front fenders. Didn't want to do the 1-piece front end. I don't have it installed yet (don't have a garage, so the weather determines if I can work or not), so I can't really tell you alot.

A couple of points to consider. When I ordered, AJ's quoted 4 week delivery time. It ended up being 8 weeks. I ordered the green gel-coat, and the color really doesn't match the sample in their catalog. Also, I don't have a real good feeling about tech support. I've called a couple of times and really did not learn anything. Actually, I've called 4WDH and got more answers.

If you want the 10 gauge plate steel and the price doesn't scare you away, and don't mind waiting a long time, go with the AJ's. My decision to go with AJ's was because of the 10 gauge steel. I thought the extra $$$ were worth the peace of mind.

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.