Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i know that when u go on the trails that u wanna air down your tires, but for snow, don't u wanna put in the normal amount of air so the tires can "dig" more into the snow? and also with more air in your tires u have a skinnyer area touching the road with is better for snow, i'm also no saying to over inflate, just to put in what your supposed too.
thanks!

(\/)ikey 1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif An ol' geezer from Colarada tol' me to add just a scooth more than dry weather pressure fer snow, so thet's jest whut ah dew. Nuthin' cn' pass mah Jeep Grand Chair O key in snow./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best for snow are harder thin tyres so if you got 4x9.5 instead of your 13.50 that willl make driving safer.

Hey CJDave, too much eggnog for X-mas?? kennie understnd a word ya saying /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif or drunk??

BlueJay
93 YJ with upgrades (and it is Blue!)

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Heh heh....we are just hangin' out, feasting on all the grub that seems to be everywhere around here. Got Jeepchick some Jeep stuff for Christmas....along with the usual "chick" stuff, of course. About all that we have left to buy are the rear deckplate corners. If I could get my moonguy crew/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif to get working harder, we might get our SNOJEEP on the road./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
We are going with 16 X 7 rims for the winter with LT235/85R16 Cooper Discoverer tires. Our summer shoes are 31 X 10.5 Goodyear AT on 15 X 10 wheels./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
CJDave

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Airing down slightly for snow will help if you are breaking trail and don't need to install chains. The slightly underinflated tire allows the edges of the tread to bite more. You risk tearing out sidewalls if you chain-up an under inflated tire. And yes, a slightly narrower tire is better for snow unless your snow is so dense that you may be able to float on top of the pack (Pacific Northwest-Sierra Cement). I have found the ideal tire is about 9.5" wide with very aggressive edge lugs (Mud T/A type tires) If you do a lot of running on icy roads or packed trails, proper inflation becomes very important and width is less critical until the snow starts turning to slush and then narrow is the only way to go.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.