Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how are you folks handling the on board air storage problem?
iM not too keen on pressurizing the rool bar, and dont plan on tube bumpers.

who makes some small tanks and where do they fit? on a CJ5 no less!

thanks

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have a 3 gallon tank on my CJ7. It is mounted in front of the gas tank above the rear differential. I don't know if this space exists on a CJ5. My tank is from one of those hot dog style contractor compressors. I bought the whole compressor with a burned up motor for $35 from a loacl compressor repair shop. I used the tank, gauges, switch, and everything else but the electric motor. It was well worth the $35.

Tom

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats another question i had, do the 120 volt switches work with the 12 volt compressor clutch? I guess they do since your using htem, cool that answeres that

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I am planning for my air tank to go beside the transmission in the skid plate (driver's side). There seems to be plenty of room. BTW I have fenderwell headers and side pipes. I just got my compressor mounted and am drawing a new diagram that I got ideas from the compressor sites. Any input or help is appreciated..Thanks...

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I know you said you weren't planning on tube bumpers for air tanks, but I just wanted to put this in. Remember how everyone was bashing using a typical tube-bumper for an air-tank because the welds weren't right for it? Well, you could just have the correct ends put on and welded the right way, along with the rest of the fittings, and it would work quite nicely. I've heard of some people putting air-tanks under the hood, and while it could be made to fit with an inline 4 or 6 I think it would be too hot in there and be constantly blowing the burst disc. How about on top of the rear fenderwells, between the sections of roll-bar? You could even strap it vertically to the roll-bar itself and not have to bolt it through the sheet-metal.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I got my tank from rubicon express, $70. It has all the NPT holes you need. 6"x24" tube. 2.5 gallon, I think. I mounted it on the rear fender well of my YJ. Fits perfectly, stays clean, and it draws strange looks from rear seat passengers.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
yes i am planning on putting mine next to the tranny.. above the skid plate.. since i too will be running the fenderwell headers.. i know wally mart sells i 2.5 or 3 gallon tank, with fittings, hose and everything you need for like 70-80 bucks.. you could also put it behind the back seat on the cj7's.. sorry i know that doesnt help you 5 guys out at all... you could just get a 7 and be donw with it.. hehehe..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
I solved the problem by getting a CO2 tank from a Pepsi guy and putting a regulator on it. $12. to fill the 20lb tank, it works like a charm,is portable, and it will fill many,many tires very fast. Just strap it in your jeep and go.

G

·
I went to a truck (semi) sakvage yard and picked through their pile. Found a 3 gallon tank with a 125 psi pop off, dump valve and all of the fittings. $40.00
Most of my buddies have had similar luck at truck salvage yards all over So. Cal.

Axlesupagain

G

·
I got an old, but in good shape, fire extinguisher bottle, painted it and installed it in the engine compartment on the driver side fender in place of the jack. I threw the jack in the back with my tools.

Yes the 120 V switch will work. All it does is close a circuit and let the current go through. It doesn't matter if that current's voltage is much less than it supposed to handle.

Hope this helps.
A.B.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Some really good ideas here......really good and innovative. Our Quadra-Trac CJ has offset drive, which makes a big empty space directly behind the transfer case....the ideal spot to hang the tank under the tub. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
The truck salvage yards are definitely the way to go. I found a 3 gallon tank with pressure release valve, a drain, inlet and outlet fittings and brackets to mount it for $25.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif If you are choosing between a bunch of tanks in a truck salvage yard, choose the one which has the drain valve that looks like it was OPENED frequently.....that tank will have the least rust and crud build-up in it./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I too picked my 3 gallon tank, w/drain, switch, and mounts from a truck salvage for $10.00. It fits perfectly on the inside of the frame just under the drivers side, protected by the skid plate.
GP'n

G

·
What's wrong with pressurizing the cage? I've been doing it for 4 years and it works great. No problems with 150 psi. OK - let's hear it - this ought to be good.... :)

Chuck Hadley

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Er.....ah....we aren't going to GO THERE, Chuck, not THIS time./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif We done beat that subject to death. As long as you aren't doing any work, get on the calculator and figure the cubic inches per foot of that pipe. Heck, a milkshake cup holds THAT much. You can use this formula: Bore X Bore X .7854 X Length Express everything decimally in inches, and then divide my 231 cu inches for one gallon. THAT should keep you occupied for at least an hour./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Did I mention that they have a kit for a V8 engine that makes half of it into an air compressor.....permanently..../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
A Trucking company I used to work for had a 351 Cleveland that half of the cylinders were compressor and half were engine...
That thing could keep up with a 1" CP air gun at about 2,500 RPM...

It was on the tire service truck.

Later cats!
Aaron.

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law...

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
just a note here people.. Elusive and I are out in [email protected]#k north carolina and i havent seen a semi yard in years.. i think they just throw the very few who dare to drive out here in the local swamps.. any other ideas? live in hellock.. oops.. havelock north carolina.. on the coast. mmm.. i will have to start looking around for one here in the next few weeks..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a semi yard close by, but hte guy is a real a$$...
I really like the fire extinguisher idea, I have a few small ones Ive been saving, they are out of stuff, but stil pressurized..
hmmm, 11 more beers, some safty glasses and a sledge might de pressurize, what can I use to hold it still...hmmmmm

thanks for the ideas guys!

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!

G

·
Lemme add some things here -
In no particular order.
I wouldn't advise using the thin metal tube called a sport bar in my YJ for a recepticle for compressed air. The reason is the amount of water vapor that is passed into the cage. My experience with air compressors tells me that they all rust the inside of the tanks. That is OK for an ASME tank with thick walls and a factor of safety of 2 or 3. It is not ok for a thin tube resevoir. I'm not worried about the tubes blowing up - as Dave explained earlier - there isn't enough volume to sneeze at - I am worried about the structural integrity of the thin tube. After a period of time it will have deteriorated internally and still look and work fine.

My resevoir will be PVC pipe. Above the skid plate next and brackted to the left frame rail. A piece of 4" about 4' long will hold 2.4 gallons and it is nearly bombproof. Corrosion certainly won't be a factor. It won't be subject to the main nemesis of plastics, ultra-violet radiation of the sun and the stuff is rated to about 325 PSI or so. I've seen it done and it works and why not - the price is right.

sln

PS
Mickey Thompson did not get rich selling tires and racing dune buggies, etc., etc. He got rich by inventing the combination engine compressor. He used small block Chevrolets for a good air compressor and fat blocks for a killer unit. They were (still are as far as I know) used as vacuum pumps also as well as fluid pumps. Some of them were just used as PTO compressors or vacuum pumps. There are many variations on this and I don't know all of them but I do know that is where he made a trainload of money.
sln

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.