Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I soon will be painting my Jeep. I have a CJ front clip on my YJ and a 4.0 engine.
Would there be any gains (engine cooling) if I add a hood scoop?
Or would it be for cosmetic purposes?
Are ther hood scoops from certain models of vehicles from scrap yards that could be blended into my hood?
What after market companies would be able to provide a scoop for my application?

thanks

Cutch 88YJ

·
Registered
418 Posts
It actually might hurt engine cooling..... if it forces air into the engine compartment, the resultant back pressure will reduce airflow through the radiator. The only reason to use a hood scoop would be to supply cooler air to the intake (i.e. carburetor).

OTOH, a hood vent might help, allowing hot air to escape upwards through the hood. This can help vehicles that are hard to start when hot due to vapor lock (like my old 280Z).

-Dana

Of all the forces in the world, only the Federal Government has enough power left to destroy America.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey avon, what went into that swap? did you have to move much around to get it all to fit?

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had louvers installed on my hood and they looked great. Also, I make sure that my air K&N filter is right behind the right side louver. My current project is trying to make something to enclosed the filter, so that filter can only breathe thru the louver. Let me know if you need more info.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Here's a website for a place that sells ram air (cold air) boxes. This may or may not be what you are looking for. I must state that I'm not affiliated with them, and I haven't ever ordered from them, but just thought it might be something you may wish to check out...

http://www.ramairbox.com/ordering_page.htm

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Louvers from a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP are a really good fit ,thats what is on my Jeep hood and they look great. They are only about 5 bucks at the dealership.

79 cj5,36" swampers,t-18,locked front and rear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.