Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was putting on my body lift today and had the hood all the way back, and noticed that it would be pretty easy to cut a big hole in the firewall where the vent for heater is, where the air goes in and connect a tube from that to the air intake throttle body,i have one of those hood scoops for the heater vent cover and it does catch a lot more air anyone think it would work? does this make sense?
thanks
(\/)ikey

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm missing something I think, is this an engine mod or a comfort mod for the air circulating in the cab?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well if anyone has put one of those air scoops they sell to put on the outside of where the heatervent gets the air from, it really does make the air come in faster threw the vent on the inside, so i figure if u route it so the air coming in from the scoop goes into the engine, would u get any better performace?

(\/)ikey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
using pvc pipe, i did just what you are talking about by taking my air intake and putting it through the firewall and into that induction heater box hood thing (yeah i think that is the technical name...) except why stop there? i used 2 90deg angle fitting to get a pipe going along the bottom of my winshield to the driver side, then another 90deg joint sends a pipe right up along the edge of my winshield for a perfect snorkle. under the hood, 2" pipe with a coupler on the end is a perfect fit for the rubber throttle body hose that connects to the stock intake box. when i think i might need to go into deep water, i pop off the hose and hook it from my stock airbox to my snorkel. works great... now if i can only find a filter for the top.. oh well. a work in progress i guess. hope that might help. sorry i havent got any pics in detail really.

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000 RTI, Warn xd9000i

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Mikey.....have you ever heard the expression: "There's nothing new under the sun." hmmm....? Since the dawn of performance motoring, the notion that a performance enhancement is possible if induction air temps could be kept low to make a more dense pack in the cylinders, and cause lower temps so a higher power setting can be used. In the mid fifties, Ferd Motor Company earned the respect of this country boy when it came out with functional hood scoops on the T-Birds, and the F-7 and bigger trucks. Even at that very young age, I could see it made sense. There was a bellows arrangement on top of the air cleaner to connect as the hood closed. Later, the hot Chev-Lays had a fresh air induction off the cowl, just as you suggested. They found that at about 90 MPH there was a slight high pressure area just at the base of the windshield on the Chevys. As soon as my welding skills were up to it, I fashioned a fresh air induction system that went from the air cleaner to the grille on my favorite hay truck. I was sure that it added at least fifty horsepower./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JEEPMAN! THATS EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT!, does it work at all?

(\/)ikey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, it works great. all i need is the right size k&n filter cone to fit my 2' pvc pipe. all i know is it puts the intake above my head so it doesnt get water in it and makes a really cool sound when you accelerate.i had a small filter and upside down 1gallon bucket assembly on top as a filter/rainsheild combo, but scrapped it cause a) it flew off on the higway cause i hadnt attached it well enough and b)it looked like a huge lantern above my winsheild. hence me looking for a k&n cone. i have a pick, i will try to attach it or email me at je[email protected] if that doesnt work and i will send it. it is only of the part coming out of the box and up the winshield, i may get underhood pics later though.

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000+ RTI, Warn xd9000i

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
I remember looking at this once and doing the math. Forget about any benefit from higher pressure, even at 100 MPH the pressure gain is only 0.178 psi, insignificant. The density gain from cooler air might be more significant: assuming 50° outside air and 150° inside temperature (just an assumption; I don't know if underhood temps get that hot on a 50° day) you'd get about a 20% increase in air density. Hmmm..... maybe I should look for the missing hose that runs from the air cleaner to the grill. I don't like the idea of running it into the heater system, though-- one good backfire (like I got yesterday after getting my distributor wet in the mud) could toast the ducts and valve flaps.

-Dana

Camouflage condoms: They'll never see you coming.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i'm going for the more RAM-AIR idea here, i mean if u have one of those vent scoops, it actaulyl does make the air flow in more than not having one, so i figured why not make it so it catches the air and shove it into the engine.. oh well just a thought.

(\/)ikey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, theoretically it does work. At slow speeds your will not noitce a huge improvement. At higher speeds you will. But if you are going to do this I have a suggestion that will run about $75. Look through JCWhitney and order the hood scoop of your choice, then look through a Summit Racing or JEGS High Perfotrmance Catalog to find the adapter that mates the really expensive scoops to the intake manifold and copy the design. Basically just take some thin sheet metal and bolt it to manifold underneath the carb, use a gasket on both sides of the sheet metal. Then take carefull measurements to determine the clearance, do this before making the sheetmetal piece, between the intake manifold and the bottom of the hood. Make the sheetmetal come as close to hitting the underside of the hood as possible and then make a 90 degree bend in the sheetmetal to make a lip about 2" wide. Take some Topperseal for pickup toppers and put it on the 2" lip. Stack the topperseal on top of itself until you are sure that there is full contact with the underside of the hood and you got it, Ram Air Induction JEEP STYLE. This is only a hypothetical answer, I know that it could be done and it would work. You will have to think of a way to make sure you do not drown the engine when it rains, it is 2:00 AM here and my brain is not working all the way. I also just realized that you have a computerized vehicle don't you. If so, it will be easier. When you want Ram Air make a pipe fitting in the bottom of the sheetmetal and attach it to your fresh air intake for your engine. When you are driving through rain, put it back in the stock position. I just came up with these ideas off the top of my head. It is 2:00 AM and I am going to bed now cause my brain is about as useful as a Baked Potato right now. I think that you get the idea I am heading toward here. Someone else can surely explain what I tried to say if they feel like, modify my idea, make it practical instead of theoretical. At any rate someone else take this dog on a walk cause' I'm goin to bed.
GU' NIT' Y'ALL

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Lee your right on the money! hey and its ok your brains a baked potato, we all get that way trying to improve out jeeps sometime or another thanks for the info! thats a great idea!

(\/)ikey

·
Registered
418 Posts
In reply to:

.....if u have one of those vent scoops, it actaulyl does make the air flow in more than not having one, so i figured why not make it so it catches the air and shove it into the engine.....
It helps on the heater air because there's no back pressure to speak of-- you're not compressing the air; it just flows right through, so the scoop can increase the volume of air you get. To help the engine, though, you'd need to significantly compress the air to increase the charge density; the volume of air the engine can pull in is fixed by the displacement..... and the compression from ram air pressure would only be about one percent.

-Dana

The most valuable function performed by the federal government is entertainment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna have to disagree w/ you DANA... Volume matters too, if it didn't why would people spend there hard earned dollars on K&N's, "turbo tubes", and bored over throttle bodies, the air is pulled into the engine, not pushed, so the vent scoop idea SHOULD work. I like the Hood scoop idea personally, one of those HUGE things, it could house little critter's, LOL... They make foam plugs for the front of the scoop, to keep the critters, rain, leafs, out.
Good LUck
BJ

to hell with it, lets go wheelin'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good point SOA YJ, well i've decided to try out my idea at the end of the month, and i'll let u know if it was a waste of my time or not. thanks for all the help and ideas, if worst comes to worst it'll become a cool snorkel.
thanks guys!

(\/)ikey

·
Registered
418 Posts
In reply to:

Volume matters too, if it didn't why would people spend there hard earned dollars on K&N's, "turbo tubes", and bored over throttle bodies, the air is pulled into the engine, not pushed.....
The [i[volume[/i] stays constant; it's controlled by the displaement. What K&N's, etc., do is lower the restriction so that the air pressure (and thus density) is not reduced by pulling against a restriction (filters, friction in ducts, throttle body, etc.), the engine is quite a good vacuum pump. In your heater system even a slight pressure increase (as from the air scoop) will increase airflow volume as there's nothing restricting the airflow back out again; but in the engine the rpm's and displacement control the volumetric airflow rate so that only a significant pressure increase (and 0.17 psi is not significant) will have any noticeable effect on mass flow..... which is all that matters.

-Dana

There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.