Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(do I dare to bring this up again???)/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Ok, what is the stock backspacing on the 15x7" stock rims? When I buy new rims, I don't want to replace the flares, or rub, too much.

Thanks in advance...

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 4.5" back spacing will handle up to a 35" tire. Works very well for a 33" tire. Some of the common alum wheels are in the 3.75" range, and those stick out too far, especially with a 12.5" tire. If you are running nothing larger than a 30" tire, your stock rims, which are - some 5.25" and some 5.5" - will work with just a little bit of "acceptable" rub at full turn.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked out the web site 33/4, 33/8 etc. Sorry, I don't know what that means, but can tell that the off set is in millimeters. I tried to figure out the weird fractions. Something simple once you understand it, I am sure. I don't understand it.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see. Can I measure the backspacing accurately if I'm at the shop? or just trust 'em? (yeah, right!)

FNG/John! HAPPY 30th! Vegas this weekend, right? Where have you been??? awfully quiet of you! and the injuries? not too many chiropractor bills yet, I hope! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Welcome back!

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to measure backspacing take along a flat object long enough to fit across the wheel such as a ruler and a tape measure. Lay the wheel with the face down and lay the ruler across the rim from lip to lip. Now just measure the distance from the ruler down to the mounting face. This is the backspacing of the wheel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I found my stats. The rims I want are 3 3/4" backspacing on an 8.5" rim. Compared to my 7" rim and 5.5" backspacing, that means they will stick out 3" over stock. (7 minus 5.5 = 1.5") and (8.5 minus 3.75 = 4.75")

1.5 vs 4.75 = 3.25" out the side of the jeep. UGLY. Here's a link to the actual wheels.... http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?ssid=DJ4JPMHSEN5SQNPKPYOMM17L8B&p=A6ED1633-3612-11D3-949D-080009FC5B5F

Is this right?
I've seen this rim on other Jeeps, and they don't stick out this much. I can't believe it. What am I spacing on?

If I'm right: Other ideas for alum. rims???
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are a good looking wheel. Remember though, they are going to stick out 3.25" farther than your previous rims, not necessarily outside the fenders. If your wheels now are 1" inside the fenders then they will stick out 2.25" past the fenders. Your math is correct though.

If you dont want the wheels to stick out that much more, see if you can get them in a narrower width or with more backspacing. That will tuck them in more. You could also buy a wider fender flare and that will cover up the wheels more and would then look really nice.

Other than that, all you can do is look for a wheel with more backspacig or less width. You could also call a place like Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct. They do a lot of wheel aplications and know what they are talking about in order to get a correct fitting wheel. They have web pages at http//www.tirerack.com and http//www.discounttire.com or you can find their ads in almost any car magazine. Good luck with your search.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you go to a tire / wheel store, they can order many Centerline wheels with custom backspacing. That's what I did for my old truck so that I could stuff wider tires under it.

I know that they can do it with the billit wheels, I'm not sure about the ones you want.

Marc
Contagious Off-Road

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Jon. Yep, just got through with the whole Birthday thing. I just got back from a week in Vegas on a business trip. It was fun staying at Ceasar's Palace on the company dime.
As for my shoulder, I started physical therapy on it.....
only time will tell.
BTW, I think Gorman is definately out this month /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
but I hope to make the Off Road for Hope MDA event next month in Anza Borrego.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey John... didn't know FNG meant that thing on the other thread! /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif and here I thought you were a nice, quiet, reserved corporate slave for direct TV! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

I'm off to Miller Jeep trail today. Bringing along a stock Ranger. Here's hoping we make it back.

Oh yeah, America's Tire Co put those centerlines on a YJ before. They stick out about 2" over stock. I'm not replacing the flares, so those are out. I'd have to order custom Billets from Centerline to get the correct backspacing. Man, have I spent WAY too much time on this!

Anyways... enjoy therapy!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Jon-YJ94
work, never done, is done right
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Centerline's "Hellcat" wheel is kind of similar in appearance only more streamlined looking. It is available with 5" backspacing at a similar price.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.