Off Roading Forums banner

advice on buying a hummer

13K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  hmcoleap 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm currently in the market for a hummer. I'm looking for a used one in the $30 to $40,000.00 dollar range, What are the common problems i can expect or things i should look for? Whats the opinion on the gas motor? I think it would be easier the maintain and "hop up" for more performance. I'd appreciate any input.

#2 ·
I don't know about the civilian models, but in the military models the geared hubs like to go out, as well as the clutch brake in the auto tranny. I have smoked an alternator from time to time too. Make sure you replace the CV boots when they get torn, and if one is torn when you purchase it, get it checked immediately. Replacing the boot is cheaper than replacing the joint itself. If the boot gets torn, and water and gunk get in - you'll be replacing it. It is pretty much like any other vehicle, but it just costs a lot more to work on when it does break. There isn't a Hummer dealer on every corner you know - and there certainly is not a stock pile of them in the junk yard. If you got the 40k and want a project, go with the military hummer at one of the USMC contractor/supplier auctions. You'll have a load of work to do on it, but you will also have an endless supply of new/used parts at your nearest DRMO site.

#4 ·
I know where there are 2 ex-military models in South Carolina. He is probably looking to get 25k each.They are the 6.2 diesel versions. e-mail me if you are interested. ericselz@aol.com

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

G
#5 ·
Try Mark Christopher Hummer in Ontario California. Ask for David Bell, or Mark Hicks. They will take real good care of you. I saved $13,000.00 on the purchase of my 2005 H2 from them and that was with several add ons that are not factory. It was a LUX model which is all they offer for the H2 loaded from the factory. They have H1's, H2's and a couple H3's in the used area. I laughed when they told me the H3's were trade ins for 2006 H2's.

Mark

#6 ·
I bought my H1 off of ebay. You can find them as well at www.dupontregistry.com

I agree with the guy who says to check cv boots, and how the transmission shifts.

Definately buy the Diesel......the torque output is higher, you'll get 10 times more life out of a diesel and their are lots of modifications you can do to diesels , these days.

Don't buy a H2 or even dumber an H3. I call H2's "Hahoes" because their a Chevy Tahoe frame, engine, chassis, suspension , with a funny body on them. Their in no way a real "Hummer". H3's are even less of a tahoe, they're
formed off the old small Jimmy & S-15 blazer etc.

I would steer away from a Humvee ( military hummer ) , because you know that 1. it's been beaten to death before the government wants to sell it, and 2. unless you only want it for hunting , etc. their are no creature comforts ( leather seats, airconditioning, stereo's , etc.

I bought my H1, for $ 65k then sunk another $42k into it, with the custom paint, engine mods, snorkel, McIntosh Stereo, 3 DVD's, racks, etc...

Attachments

G
#7 ·
Wow, that's an investment. Would you even consider that suspension lift that's being made now for them? (I made a thread about it on this forum a while ago) I saw pics of one at SEMA that had been lifted, damnit...

#8 ·
No I don't need a lift, since I don't need more clearance than I already have with the 38's. I also use it mostly for pulling my other toys, and playing a little in the mud and snow.

Yeah I've heard of the susp. lift being $ 5,000 , I think that it's an intelligence test to buy one, unless you can't make do with the stock suspension. Mine motors right through anything I go through , and because theres absolutely no articulation with a Hummer, whats the point, unless all you want is bigger tires for looks. I know of a guy in Northern Cali, that has an H1 with 49" Iroks, but it's too tall and way to top heavy, plus he only uses it to "Crawl the Mall" ......you could eat off the undercarriage , if you know what I mean.

Plus I get Crap for fuel mileage as it is , like 8 mpg and with the prices of diesel and a 40gal. main tank with a 20 gal. aux. tank....... lift it higher, and put those heavy a$$ 49's on it and I bet that guy , gets 4mpg... no thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.