Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about Advanced Adapters? I talked to a guy at AA and it seemed like he was giving me the run around. Also some of the things he said about the NV4500 didn't seem right (see my other post). Has anyone had bad experiance with them or am I just too suspicious? Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't dealt with AA for a longtime so I can't really help you there, but if I was looking for an adapter I would call Novak Adapter. 877-602-1500 www.NOVAK-ADAPT.COM I dealt with them several times in the past and was very pleased. I don't know that they have quite the selection that AA has, but once upon a time I had a question that the person on the phone couldn't answer, so she went to the shop and got Mr. Novak himself who spent the time needed to answer my question....and that was for a crummy $15 pilot bushing. That's pretty dang good service in my book !

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
yes i have found novak to be better service.. but not quite the selection of aa.. .. but aa is so expensive.. well they do have like everything.. i havent dealt with aa yet.. but have heard no complaints until now..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really isn't a complaint that I had. I don't want to turn people off to a company that I haven't bought anything from. I was just wandering if it is there normal way to act since they're so busy or if he might just have been really busy and was trying to get something else done (or something like this). I really haven't heard anything good or bad about AA so that is why I was asking.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have purchased a kit or two from AA, and it has two months since my last drink.....
Actually, I have had no problems with them from a business standpoint (correct prices, prompt shipment, correct parts...). However, there technical support was lacking in some areas. It really just depended on who I got ahold of at AA, some people knew what they were talking about, some didn't have a clue! They would try to get me to buy parts to go with the kits that I new I could fab myself. In conclusion, do your research before you call!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
It really seems to me in most cases, if you have to use AA you MIGHT be considering the wrong components, there is soo much factory stuff available out there to hook almmost anything to almost anything else..
$500 buys a lot of gas/beer/tires/gears/locker other than a machined plate...
My opinion...

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do decide to use an AA adapter there are licensed dealers out there that sell for much less that AA does. Parts Mike and Mepco are two that come to mind. Also, Mr. Novak died a year or two ago and his wife was selling the existing inventory until just recently. Somebody bought the business from her and is now producing the adapters again. Lets hope that his quality and customer service is a high as Mr. Novak's was!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OzarkJeep I thought that AA would be the only ones to be able to answer my question since I have/want such a strange drivetran in my Jeep. I thought I could use a GM NV 4500 but according to AA I need a Dodge with a GM tail along with a couple of adapters. If you know how or could direct me to somebody that would know what I need to hook a 3.8 liter BUICK V6 to any version of the NV4500 to a Dana 20 t-case I would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
woulndt using a newer transfer case be alot easier?

ad all that together with 12" of adapters and you better have a Cj8!

OzarkJeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't really want to spend the money. The NV 4500 is already alot of money and on top of that I need to buy the adapters. I do however need to compare the price of a new/used t-case to the adapters. It might be cheaper. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for making me think.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
what is the rig, and your goals with it?
the only reason for considering a NV4500 is the overdrive, other wise a Sm465, or even T18 would be cheaper... bolt one of these to a dana 20, 300, or NP205 tcase and drive on with $1000 in your pocket...

OzarkJeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1980 CJ7 with a 3.8liter 231 Buick V6, currently a Muncie M20 or M21 tranny, Dana 20 t-case. The goals are to have a street driveable, high speed long highway runs, serious to extreme offroading. I plan on swapping axles after I finish the tranny (when funds allow). I want the NV 4500 for the overdrive and for the 5.61:1 first gear so it is usable on the street. The problem is the Buick V6 and trying to get a suitable tranny to fit my needs. Thats why I thought the NV4500 would be the best tranny (but not the cheapest) for my needs.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
a granny low 4 speed, and effective OD with tire size and axle gears would probably get you close to your goals, im not sure how powerful that little V6 is but will it run big tires in 5th gear, thru a HEAVY tranny?...

if youve got the money to spend then it isnt an issue!

good luck with it!

OzarkJeep

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
AA is a damn good company but everything they have they think is gold. I know they must charge for the design and research but think about the power steering conversion. you buy 90 % from junkyard and then get the one metal bracket that they charge $700 for. I did mine total for $125. They are good just too much money for me.

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How would a granny low 4 speed with OD be any better than the NV 4500 other than cost. I'm pretty sure the V6 will turn it espeacilly if I do some simple upgrades to get the extra 50lbs of torque. Also it is able to move the Jeep from a stand still with the 2.21:1 first gear that I have which gives me a 17:1 crawl ratio. With the OD don't you have an extra lever in the cab? I thought it would be nice to keep it simple. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I meant overdrven effect from large tires...

play with some numbers, and your torque curve....You might find that decent gears ( 3.73/4.11) big tires 31/33 and 1:1 top gear give you what your after on teh highway, and then 6.32*2*3.73 or 4.11 as your crawl...

maybe not exactly what youyr after but the $$$ difference could mean lockers or a winch....Im not trying to disuade you, just speaking of How I would do it, EVEN with unlimited funds....

if you want high speeds/ gas mileage, just get another car, for what a NV4500 is gonna cost you you could buy something pretty nice

OzarkJeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the 1:1 top gear and 3.54 gears with 31" tires. It definately doesn't give me what I want for highway driving. The reason I need such a high top gear is because I will be (when I finish the swap) driving from Ohio to Colorado a number of times a year. When your trying to run across I-70 or I-80 at the 75mph (at least) the engine (right now) turns around 3000 rpm. The engine is happy around 1500-2000 rpm(and gets better gas mileage, and doesn't drive me as crazy). That .73 overdrive of NV 4500 should let me run 75mph at just over 2000 rpm. I don't want another car b/c I hate cars, I don't have room, I don't want to pay more insurance, and once I get somewhere I want to be able to go offroad. Thanks for the ideas though.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.