Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would a 60 pound new rear bumper cause my rear tires to start rubbing my fender flares when I turn.?? I didn't have any trouble at all before installing the bumper. Is 60 pounds all it takes to weigh the rear down that much??? I thought my springs were stiffer than that.!! What can I do to remedy the problem?

89 YJ black diamond 3.5" springs, 33" swampers. V8 350. Shackle reversal. SYI hypershackles soon to come.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your REAR tires are rubbing only when you turn. A little strange. But, with 60 lbs. on the rear, that's a bunch because unloaded
a 3.5" lift on a YJ is really pushing it with 33s. YJs need at least 4" lift generally to run 33s without rub.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I also have a spare tire carrier that mounts to the bumper. It is also 60 pounds. Plus I will add a larger spare!! what should I do. I plan on a 1 or 2" body lift. If I add the SYI hypershackles in the rear, can I get a 1" longer shackle and get about 1/2 inch of more lift?? Or will it give me 1" of lift?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remove the bumper I won't be able to pull my ski boat.
I already have a lift. My only other lift options are to get 6" national springs very costly. Or get the black diamond coil sprung lift--very costly. I am thinking about a 1 or 2" body lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Body lift will probably be your easiest fix.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
60 lbs should not be a problem. Are you sure there isn't something else wrong? Is there something loose in the back axle that allows it to move sideways in a corner? The tires must be very close to the flares when sitting still. How about wider flares or more back spacing on the wheels to pull them further under the flares? During articulation the tires should stuff under the flares at an angle and not hit the flares. If you are having cornering problems on the street, how bad is it on the trail, or just going over a curb on the street?

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before the bumper, articulation was no problem and there was quite a bit of distance between the tire and the fender flare. Unless someone sat in the back seat of the jeep. Then it would rub. But it was probably a 195lb. man

The first day after putting on the bumper I didn't notice a problem. When going straight it didn't rub anyway. The next day I went muddin and on the way to work the next morning I turned a corner and heard the tire rub the fender flare. I looked at the tire and it was extremely close to the flare!! I washed off the springs and shackle real well to make sure it wasn't the mud. But that didn't help. I still haven't crawled under the jeep to take a good look yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could it be that a trac-bar or swaybar mount broke and is allowing excessive body roll when turning? I'm just taking a stab in the dark but that may have happened just as a coincedence at the same time that the bumper went on (not as a result of the new bumper).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trac bar---sway bar? What's that? Did jeeps come with those?
I have not ran my jeep with any sway bars or the trac bars (front/rear) in months.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might want to pull tracbar/swaybar disconnects from your profile then. That's where I got the idea for a possible fix.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe your right. But the only reason I have not put them back on is because I can't tell any difference with or without them on road. That is why I thought my springs were still stiff. I am scared to put on the new spare tire carrier. it bolts to the bumper. it too is 60 lbs.!!! My springs will be bottomed out??!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it's time for you to crawl under that thing and look around. Might be a broken spring. No sway bars?? well, could be something loose in the shackles allowing the Jeep to slip sideways in a turn. Time to start looking, I think.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there is something wrong. I can jump in the bed of my jeep (I weigh 190) and the springs don't move that much. It's gotta have something to do with the missing trac bars... measure your clearance with the bumper on and off. Go from there. Are you shocks any good? that should lessen the body lean in cornering. HOW FAST ARE YOU DRIVING? /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Good luck (I've got 3.5" Black Diamond)... my springs are not stiff, but not that SOFT either...)

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. here is what I found out. I finially crawled under the jeep. Nothing looked wrong. however, I noticed the driver side rear shackle was back farther than the passengers. The old bumper had a bolt that prohibited this shackle from going that far back. (like it would when the tire was stuffed under the fender well). So I sprayed a lot of WD-40 on both shackles, lifted the jeep to move the shackles back and forth. Then let the jeep down. Now both sides measure the same and it is a little higher than before. I guess it had never flexed to that position before and had crud built up in the bushing and probably stuck. I also jumped on the new bumper to make sure it would go back to same positions, it did. Thanks for all the tips. I now need to get longer shackles to make the front and rear sit level.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.