Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lift my dj about an inch or two for better clearance and to be able to fit 30-31 inch tires. I don't have the cash for a lift kit (yet), the skills for a front spring over(the rear comes factory, and I plan on swapping in full width waggie axles), so I was thinking about an add a leaf. What do you all think? I'm not real hip on body lifts because of the strain on steering stuff and brake lines, plus there's no additional clearance. Pro's/con's? Will the jeep be more "tipsy" side to side, or will the siffer springs and new (as of yet undetermined brand) shocks help that?Thanks

--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The add a leafs/new shocks in my opinion make it less tippy than stock. It will make it ride much worse than stock. They really stiffen the ride. They also play hell on the body from the constant jarring. I would not advise add a leafs-been there done that. I would suggest stiffer shocks, fender trimming and a 1" body lift over these. The tires you want to add are not that big. Then save money for a real lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ditto on the save your money for a real lift. The add-a-leafs make the jeep almost unbearable on-road due to the fact that the ride like..well...like a jeep that is way oversprung...no bump absorption at all (irrespective of shock choices, the springs do not flex to absorb bumps as they should). Off road, the jeep will be worthless...the aforementioned complete lack of flex means that you'll be 3 wheeling when you try to climb a curb. I would venture the proposition that a jeep with stock springs and stock size (or slightly larger) tires would be way more comfortable and capable both on and off road than a jeep with any sort of plain old "add-a-leaf" suspension lift. If you can't afford a full on suspension lift, save for one, or try to find a used one. They're out there. But nix the add-a-leaf.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm. Thanks for the advice. I can't trim the rear fenders-where the clearance problem is-because there is a rail for the sliding door. I guess I'll have to save my pennies a while longer....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you do go with add a leaves get the full length ones not the short stubby ones.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I ran the short stubby add-a-leafs for about a year in my YJ. When I put my V8 in, my stock front springs inverted! It was my daily driver and I needed to get it on the road asap so I found some add-a-leafs for $50 and slapped them in front and rear. The ride did get a little rougher and any flex that was there was gone but hey, I was on the road! It is a quick and easy mod that is a short term remedy. I like my 4" BDS lift that I have now but they really don't flex much more than the add-a-leafs, believe it or not.
IMO, put a 1" body lift on and then add-a-leafs if necessary.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will a 1" body lift affect any of my linkages or brake lines? I know that the e-brake line runs from the underside of the tub to the rear brakes. Won't this have to be adjusted? What about steering shaft length and angles? I've never messed with this stuff so it makes me a bit nervous.....I'm always willing to try new stuff mechanically, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3/4tonyj, my springs are 24 years old. Does that matter? should I replace them before modifying them? Did you have to modify anything else as a result of the lift you gained (brake hoses come to mind). Also, how wide are the YJ springs. If they are wider than my CJ springs, how difficult is it to make them work? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
i'm assuming were talking about your DJ-5, your rear springs are the same width as a YJ's but shorter, your front spring are narrower as well as shorter.

i've taken apart old spring packs and found broken leafs, i say you could use yours still as long as you don't find any cracked ones,

so, if your object is to lift a postal, i would put some 4" blocks on the rear (which is SOA already) and the convert your front axle from SUA to SOA, (maybe install a norrow track CJ dana 30 for later use when converting to 4x4) /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
and yes you would have steering, brake lines, shocks and maybe rear driveshaft length issues, but they could be worked out with time and money....

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
why would you recommend blocks and not taller springs in the rear. Why 4" blocks when all I'm looking for is an inch or two? I actually plan on swapping full width waggoneer axles up front, but I don't have the $$ right now, which is why I was looking at the add a leaf. Kind've a temporary fix for about a year. I would actually like to do a spring over in the front, but I don't have the skill or experience to do it, and don't know anyone that does. I was thinking about cutting the front axle tube from the wheels and rotating it 180 degrees, giving myself a poor mans soa. I'd have to relocate the steering dampener mounts, but that seems minor compared to a full spring over. How hard would it be to swap to regular CJ front springs? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
well i was sthinking of a cost effective way to lift it, and doing a spring over converstion i the front would be and give it about a 4 to 5 inch lift (so, i thought a inexspensive way to lift the rear would be blocks, we do it on trucks all the time /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif)
if you later do a full with waggy axle up front it will be wider that your 44 rear is, maybe swap both waggy axles...
as for a cutting the front tub and rotating it 180 i'm not sure what your talking about, it won't lift the front unless you move the axle to under the springs. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
also because postal are different (like they hang the rear springs outside the frame rails) i not sure about swapping CJ springs front or rear, your would have to measure the length af everything...

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The front "axle" is a tube about 3" in diameter. The steering stabilizer and springs are welded to it. I was thinking about cutting, rotating and welding the tube 180 degrees so the spring mounts would be on top. Cheap spring over. It needs to be cut and rewelded so the caster/camber isn't affected. What type of blocks do you use to lift the rear? Thanks again for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't buy a add-a-leaf kit, just buy a couple used leaves and cut them to fit under your main leaves, you may need some u-bolts also.
I wouldn't rely on shocks to do anything they arn't designed to do...springs hold the machine up and prevent sway, shocks keep it from bouncing off the road.
I don't see how a body lift will add strain to anything if the proper adjustments are made.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry about the dumb question here, but what kind of used leaf would work for this application and provide an inch or two of lift?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You may need to add a couple of leaves to get things just right. I'd stay with the same thickness as the others in the pack, and the same width, bevel the edges with a grinder so they slip and slide without sticking to the next leaf, and spray some moly/graphite type lube between them all, don't cut-off the u-bolts or center bolts until you get the lift and ride you want. I once bought about 20 used packs for $50,from a offroad shop, and I made a ton of lifts from them. The best set-up I had was about 12 leaves in the front and 9 in the rear (real thin leaves).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm. I'm not sure which way to go now. You guys both have good ideas. I do have another postal that I can scavenge the additional springs from, so this might be the cheapest way to go. So I just unwrap the springs, clean them and add new leaves to the pack until I'm happy with it? Do I need anything between the leaves or just the spray teflon lube? Does it matter that the additional leaves aren't arched more than the old ones?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.