Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good add-a-leaf set up for the 720's? I frequently haul rather large loads of wood and the back end really sags. So
much so that it looks like the springs are bending the other way, I've also knocked off the rubber stops on the fram that hit the
axel many times. I saw one in Summit but wasn't sure if it would work. Would it be better, or even possible, to go to the junk yard
and somehow slid an extra leaf in with the pack?

Bernie
'86 720 "The Stain"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't run leaf springs I'm coil-minded shall we say but I'm sure you can find someone with an add-a-leaf. I don't know the dimensions but a bigger leaf pack from some other model should work, or you could always try that Air-Ride system which can be Aired-up for heavy loads and Aired-down for regular ride?
Don't know if this will help you or not?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
airbags are the way to go , a friend of mine put a set on a 1995 toyota (needs all the help it could get-I told him may be buy two sets)
for about 500.00 dollars cdn. With no load in the box he had no air and a stock ride, load it up and then all you have to do is pump up
the airbags to a pressure that works for you, kinda a trial and error project, and then you are set. You can even get really fancy
systems that have an air compressor and in cab controller.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where could I find an airbag system and how much American? I'm not looking to break the bank on this. Thanks for the info.

Bernie
'86 720 "The Stain"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your spring packs are easily added to just be careful when you take the old spring packs apart (you may want to took in your owners manual for this). As far as a donor vehicle look for a 4wd or heavy duty model as the 2wheel drive has slightly thinner(less capacity) leaves.

As far as the bags I would stay away from them. Pherhaps my friends 720 had an inexpensive set of bags but it always seemed that he was replacing them. If your hauling a heavy load often I personally would put in more springs and live with the harder ride.
Lance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For longevety and durability I would agree with Lance, the leafs are much stronger and better all around. The Airbags are cool and might even be a bit cheaper one of the other posts indicated about $500.00 cdn which is about $325.00 us, but if you can find a used spring pack or even helper springs which I think I seen Hellwig suspension or whatever the name is makes them?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts