Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken their truck over to the jyard and had it weighed? I am curious since shortly I am hoping to do this when I go and "cash out" what is left of my aluminum wheels. I plan on going over with softtop on, no rear seat. I don't have a winch up front yet, and I'll check the fuel guage. Just would like to get some comparisons of actual weights. Bumpers, winches, tranny/motor combos, model years??, etc. Past threads we always refer to curb weight or GVWR.

Humor me here, I know some don't care too much, but if you do have an actual weight, post it please.
Hey, at the very least, the results might be something useful for posting on Havack's site. And I mean this in a good way Havack. Other Bronco owners might like knowing what these trucks really weigh in daily driving.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
mines weighns in at 6,200 minus hard top, tailgate, rear seat, but add 36x14.50 swampers on steel rims, SFA, cage, tool box, parts/tools, beefy rear bumper, light fornt bumper, but winch mount and winch, 351, E4od, 1/2 tank gas, nobody in it. it will weigh more once i get the 10.25 in if 4wp gets me the right wheels this time!
im just a tad over gross vehcile weight.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
My curb weight was 4764lbs.
Don't have the breakdown, but it was real close to 50/50 front to rear.
2 people (340 lbs.) with ski gear, 1/2 tank gas, top on, rear seat in, 31X11.5 tires on the same 15X10 rims I have now.
That was on truck-stop scales on I-90 and Hwy18 on the way down Snoqualmie Pass.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WD, are you including the people, gas, gear in that 4764 weight? Those aftermarker massive bumpers, and winches seem to add quite a bit of weight.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
In reply to:

are you including the people, gas, gear in that 4764 weight?
Yep.
Had the bro read the weight off the meter while we were sitting in the truck.
Those nice folks at that stop turn the meter around so you can read it when they're not there.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
That was driving across a certified scrapyard scale one day when I was selling a load of steel. I had all my normal tools, both bumpers, my own 220lb, and I don't remember how much gas (a full tank only weighs about 220lb). This Warn XD9000i winch only weighs about 80lb, so my everyday curb weight is still right around 3 tons.

G

·
Juice, My 96 came out of the scales at 5200 with about 3/4 tank of gas and all my miscellaneous items I carry including one set of chains for my 35's. The only thing of extra weight is the 15x10 and 35" spare and my 3 drawer chest of tools.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aftermarket 15 x 8 American Eagle 589's I think is the number. They don't seem to make them anymore. they are "fancy". They look great on the truck. Problem is the edges are bent pretty good in a number of places (still hold air fine amazingly). And the edges are "chewed" good in some places. All rock damage. Aluminum wheels and loose rock trails don't mix. I don't care what anyone says. Large slickrock stuff, might be ok. And mud, sand, desert, just fine. I'll get some damage with steels, but not as easily as this has occured. If the yard gives me salvage .40 cents per pound or so, that is the plan. The spare is going too (trading in) and is an American Racing 15 x 8. All are 3.75"BS.

I have a set of 15 x8 US steel type 24's that should be in any day. Same Blade pattern, but wheel rim is chrome, face is black. Should be cool. And last. $50/wheel.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll be weighing soon, but my guess is I will come in at 4600 pounds, me not in it, 1/2 tank, 351/E4OD (kinda heavy combo compared to say a 302 with manual). This would be with softop and no back seat. Usual spare, jack, basic carrying stuff (apx 40 lbs).

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weighed on the I-5 Truck scales yesterday...surprise surprise

5300 LBS!!!!!!!!

Softtop on
No Backseat
Me in it
Just over 1/4 tank
limited tools- Milk crate full of stuff, center console, etc
front grille guard/hi lift/steel rocker protection/gas can

E4OD, 351

My question is, how did the factory ever come up with a curb weight of 4600 lbs for these things????
Every search I do has a Broncos weight at about 4500-4700. Even with 302, manual, no top/seat /extras I don't see the truck weighing that. could the scales be wrong?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Scales

Truck scales near an interstate are almost certainly certified - you can bet that weight is accurate.

You -~200#
1/4 tank -~60#
Tools -~100#
GG -~40#
Jack -~50#
Rocker/gas -~20#

Softtop add~130#
Back seat add~70#

Net ~270#
Original curb ~5030#, which is about what thought.

Ford may have been giving the curb weight of the STANDARD Bronco - no optional equipment AT ALL. 4.9L, no A/C, whatever the lightest transmission is, no PW PL PM, no console, highback seats, no tilt/cruise, no ABS, no airbag, tiny tires, etc. That would make sense, too, since that's probably what they base the EPA estimated gas mileage on.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
see, i told you they are heavy buggers!!!!
my smapers, tools, bumpers, winch, cage.... add in to mak eme over gross vehicle weight.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Scales

forgot about the 4.9. I agree, stripped it could be. But one more question, '78-79 vs. 80's vs. 90's Broncos, fairly matching options (engine/tranny basically) which would be heavier, or all about the same? WD-40 had posted a weight near that ford stated weight, he is running a v8. Maybe he runs a manual???

burnedB, yep, you right!
if I went back, I believe you stated 5300 for your rig, but you might want to reweigh.
I saw that gangbox in the back. If it is full, and your tires/winch/and axles, you would have to be hundreds heavier than I.

by the way, most stats on the sub and Expedition are showing curb of 5700-6000!!! So, what do you think they are pushing "dressed for success" off road?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Re: Scales

im about 6,200 as i sit, well that was before the 10.25, which weighs atleast 125 more pounds than the 8.8

1 - 20 of 24 Posts