Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE BEEN RUNNING MY HEI FOR AROUND 3 WEEKS NOW AND FIND THE DIFFERENCE AMAZING,WHILE I WAS IN THE AUTO SECTION OF MY LOCAL CANADIAN TIRE STORE, I SPIED AN HEI SUPER COIL THAT IS FOR A V8 BUT WILL ALSO FIT THE STRAIGHT 6 HEI
IF THE HEI IS BETTER THAN THE OLD DIST ,SURELY INFUSING ANOTHER 20000 VOLTS SHOULD BE EVEN BETTER. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY OPINIONS.
TOMMYBEAR
86 CJ

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Depending on the quality of the distributor cap, rotor, installation of the 'super coil' ect. you may just get voltage arcing every where inside, and outside the distributor cap.
If you upgrade to the Accel super coil, make sure you use the cap button supplied, and make sure you use dielectric grease on the silicone 'donut' supplied with the coil upgrade!
I would also use the very best rotor I could find!
The Accel Super coils throw voltage like crazy, and the cap was never designed to take those voltages.

If it were me, I'd stay with the stock GM HEI coil. It makes plenty of voltage to get the fire lit...
GM HEI coils had problems with duration, amperage, and spark energy control.

BTW, take your cap lock off! You shouldn't shout at people you want help from...

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts