Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My abindix isn't disengaging from the flywheel on start up. Makes this SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH noise for about 2-3 seconds before it pops out. I've gotten two suggestions:

1) Take it out and lube it with white lithium grease.
2) Replace it with a replacement abindix.

I have to say my grandpa put the poo-poo on the first one. He's an old school mechanic (been fixing/breaking/driving cars since about 1930) so I'm inclined to listen to him. He said the grease would attract crap and eventually make the abindix stick in position.
Him, my father, and several other people with mechanical knowledge of starters all suggested the second one. They suggested it from reasons varying from my grandfather's idea above to personal experience with the same thing.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Got any other suggestions?

I'm just fishing around making sure I have the solution before I go and spend the money at NAPA.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 3" Flowmaster 40 DF, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my truck. All I did was call around town and find the cheapest lifetime guarntee replacement starter. I think I payed around 30 to 40 $$ and if it ever breaks I get a free one. I guess if you wanted to you could rebuild it or replace the abendix, but I'm lazy and didn't want to.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4x4
|\*\..../*/|
|.\*\../*/.|
|..\*\/*/..|
|../*/\*\..|
|./*/..\*\.|
|/*/....\*\|
-----------

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd prefer to just replace the abindix. Money is not plentiful with me./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 3" Flowmaster 40 DF, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
AJM,
Had the same problem with a Ranger of mine back in the HS days. after oulling the started i decided to just replace the bendix as everything else was in good shape. before i put the new bendix in the started (easy to do bTW) i took a die grider/rotary tool and ground the teeth of the gear a little bit. you'll see on the new one you buy that ine edge of the teeth is tapered abit. i just made this taper a smooth curve. it helps the gear engage in the flywheel a bit better. paint the gear before installing it too. that way oif you have problems with it you can pull it out and see where its wearing/ binding.
---Peacock

If it hasn't broken, let your girlfriend drive it...it'll break real quick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.