Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove a 99 with 20,000 miles everything was good untill I pulled it out of 4wd then the
check engine light and air bag light came on and all the gauges stoped working and the digital
display for the milage said "no bus" any one know what this means I would like to know before
I deside to buy it or not

thanks Lee

·
Registered
418 Posts
Don't buy it! If it is already having problems like that I would definately wait for another. Or get one that doesn't have all the nifty electronic gizmo's that were put in jeeps for girls.

G

·
Have it looked at by a Jeep dealer. My mom just bought a Grand Caravan that did the same thing- and she knew the owner that had it since new. The dealer found a loose connection near some sensor at the computer and its been fine since. I wouldn't think the one you were looking at is old enough to have serious problems- but have it checked out carefully. Maybe someone "reset" the odometer. Over 2 years old and only 20K miles? Something doesn't smell right here.

JEEP- Just Empty Each Pocket. Oh well- its just money. o||||o

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm unsure of the airbag and check engine lights but dead gauges and the "NO BUS" is just the dash connector coming loose. Just 'rap on the dash a little and all will be okay. It happened to my wife and I amazed her by bumping the dash and making it go away. I read the cause/remedy on this board.

This is not a serious problem. That is, it isn't like a noisy transfer case. If you can get it for less money by acting like your leary of an electrical problem ....go for it.

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
That's a known problem with TJ's. Have the dealer check the TSB's on it and see if the fix has ever been done.

08-20-98A OCT 98 Erratic Inst. Panel Operation/Int. Airbag Warning Light

Have the dealer read:

08-07-99 MAY 99 Power Distribution Center (PDC) Service

It think one of these TSB's would point the dealer in the right area... however I'm sure they already have seen the problem multiple times.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks every one I did alot of checking on this and found that the 99's have a small elec. problem
but it's just a loose connection as pointed out above. I think I might try to get the price down due
to the problem or find something else.

Lee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts