Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of expanded steel is everyone using for trailer ramps. (Diamond Opening size, and Gauge of metal)
What I have is a trailer that came with ramps that are 12" wide and 5' long. They are the ladder style ramps, and they have a "rung" every 8-10"
I feel that these "rungs" are just a little too far apart. As you try and load something on, or off the wheels seem to fall into the holes between rungs. This trailer is also used to move a 35 horse tractor, the front wheels of the tractor really fall in because they are of small Dia.
So I want to add some sheets of expanded steel to the ramps so that stuff will actually roll on and off a little easier. But I don’t know what size I should get. I don’t want the steel to bend and sag between the rungs, but at the same time I don’t want to way over kill it and spend more than I need in material.
I am thinking along the lines of 1” by 2” diamond sizes, and 6 gauge steel (.203” thick)
Do you think this will hold a 4500lb tractor/ jeep over a span of 10” ? Should I get thicker steel, or could I cut back a little.

I thank you for any help

·
Registered
339 Posts
Why don't you just add more rungs... evenly spaced in the gaps. I assume they are something like 2 x 1/4 angle with the upen end down. Pretty affordable stuff compared to expanded metal. A stick or less would probably do it. What kinda tractor you hauling around? My retired dad restores old JDs and Farmalls. There are always 6 or 7 tractors hanging around.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I have to agree w/ TC on adding more rungs... My "new" trailer is only 10 years old and the worst looking part is the ramps. They were just covered with about the same gauge expanded steel and took a pounding from a Bobcat & skipsteer. The fact that each end of the exp.steel weren't welded (just every few inches) makes the edges extremely jagged and sharp, which concerns since it tends to attract my son (kids in general... as Galens nieces/nephew were all over it a few weekends ago)... not to mention ripping *ME* up some night in the dark and ruining a ride with a trip to the ER in BFE!

I'll either cut it all out & add rungs or clean it up a bit over the winter.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a pretty good poing, about the steel wanting to "curl" up.

The tractor this trailer moves is a 35 horse Kubota, with a bucket, and often a brush hog. A very nice piece of equipment.

I should have been a little more specific. This trailer doesn't belong to me, it belongs to the guy who has the Kubota, The trailer also sees a ZTR mower, a sports car, and all maner of other stuff. I agreed to "modify" the ramps as a trade, because I am usally aloud to use it when ever I need.

The owner wants expanded steel over the ramps... I will bring up the idea of more rungs though..
At very least I will add a strap, over the jagged edge of the metal when I am done. Probably just weld a piece of flat stock over it. That should hold it down.
Carver, do you think that 6 guage is too light?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts